T-5 bulb question...

epleeds

i have an 8x54 T-5 light that I need new bulbs for. Im just wondering if i should just go to the store and buy some white and blue lights for it, or if there is some magical formula for which bulbs, which company i should by to give me the best all around colors....

its over a 75 gallon with a mix of things

thanks for you input...

eric

I am running URIs and they are great. I just picked some up @ TACo for $12 each. I have no idea what is left.

Anyway, I run 50/50s (12k) and actinics in a 2 to 1 ratio. Works very well for corals and provides a great look for me. I am keeping SPS, LPS and softies.

Not the OP but how do you know when you need new lights? I heard they last 2 yrs. truth? I just bought the lights from a member at was told that they have at least 5 more months left. Im starting to get green algae on the sand and rocks.

Had PC before but had to keep the lights to a 2-4hr photo period because it was getting bad. I thought the new lights would fix this. Sorry to threadjack but I had t5 questions too.

VHOs last 8 months before you have poor performance. T5 seem to last about 10-11 months. I base this on what I observe from my coral growth. The lights still look good. But when you replace them - WOW you see the difference, and your coral really grow!

As for short photoperiods - I think that is treating a symptom and not the problem(s). Your water chem is the problem, not the light.

Not the OP but how do you know when you need new lights? I heard they last 2 yrs. truth? I just bought the lights from a member at was told that they have at least 5 more months left. Im starting to get green algae on the sand and rocks.

Had PC before but had to keep the lights to a 2-4hr photo period because it was getting bad. I thought the new lights would fix this. Sorry to threadjack but I had t5 questions too.

Every bulb maker might say something different but UV Lighting Company says that their bulbs are good for 4,500hrs so it really depends on how long per day you burn them.

4,500hrs / 8hrs per day / 30 days average per month = 18.75 months

10 hrs per day = 15 months

12 hrs per day = 12.5 months

VHOs last 8 months before you have poor performance. T5 seem to last about 10-11 months. I base this on what I observe from my coral growth. The lights still look good. But when you replace them - WOW you see the difference, and your coral really grow!

As for short photoperiods - I think that is treating a symptom and not the problem(s). Your water chem is the problem, not the light.

I thought so too, so I checked them. Well at least the known culprits. Ammonia=0, Nitrites=0ppm, Nitrates=20ppm, Phosphates=0, chlorine=0, ph is 8.2, alk is good

Im using DI water only. Maybe its the nitrates. Time for a water change. My friend keeps telling me to wait till they get a little higher like 40ppm, but every time I test its around 20.

Im building a sump/fuge so I can make that my water change. I hope to add some chaeto too.

just a quick look on the internet..Nitrates = food for algae. I need to get it down to less than 5. Could this be the problem?

Why had i not did a water change before? Well because I thought my tank was still cycling. Nitrites would go down, but ammonia would go up slightly. So I waited. Well I guess I can say my tank has cycled.

sort of update or question. Saw this on wetweb media. Is it true?

<nitrate can be measured as nitrate-nitrogen or as an ion. The actual nitrate level on most test kits is a multiple (4.4) of your given reading. As such, your 25 ppm is actually over 100ppm. You have hardy creatures, however, and have noticed that things are relatively fine for now. However, many inverts and some fish such as the Angels, butterflies and tangs will almost suffer certainly in time from exposure. Do aim for under 10ppm>

Ill start a new thread. sorry to the OP

Edited by walter

I am running URIs and they are great. I just picked some up @ TACo for $12 each. I have no idea what is left.

Anyway, I run 50/50s (12k) and actinics in a 2 to 1 ratio. Works very well for corals and provides a great look for me. I am keeping SPS, LPS and softies.

Where/What is TACo?

Where/What is TACo?

"TACo" is The Aquarium Company. Quazi bought the bulbs during the 50% off sale last week as I did.

11411 F Sunset Hills Road

Reston, Virginia 20190

They are located right off the Dulles toll road at exit #13 Wheile Ave.

Sandwiched between Reston Parkway and Wheile Avenue

The store numbers is (703)496-7330

Edited by Coral Hind

"TACo" is The Aquarium Company. Quazi bought the bulbs during the 50% off sale last week as I did.

11411 F Sunset Hills Road

Reston, Virginia 20190

They are located right off the Dulles toll road at exit #13 Wheile Ave.

Sandwiched between Reston Parkway and Wheile Avenue

The store numbers is (703)496-7330

ahhh thanks for the info, I was trying to search for "TACo" online and couldn't find anything but TACO's lol. I guess I missed out .