Schulzjp's 90RR build

schulzjp

So I am finally in the process of setting up my 90 gallon. My current tank is a 20 gallon which I can finally upgrade from now that I am out of my apartment.

gallery_1682_192_46116.jpg

So far I have built my stand and diy overflow which i have yet to test.

gallery_1682_498_79589.jpg

gallery_1682_498_75745.jpg

gallery_1682_498_59845.jpg

gallery_1682_498_60508.jpg

gallery_1682_498_64365.jpg

So far I have bought two Koralia 4's and will be picking up an Octopus DNW-150 recirculating skimmer.

My current plans are to go with 6 t5ho icecap retrofit kit for lighting. Planning on a 40 breeder for my sump.

Looking forward to posting some updates.

Edited by schulzjp

sweet...looks like you're off to a good start, I'll be tag'n along for the ride.

The stand is nice, you built it yourself? Will be tagging along to see the progress!

Thanks. Yes I built it using some designs I found on reef central for inspiration. I will be building a matchign canopy once I purchase my lights.

I sealed the stand last night as well as painted the back of the tank black. Tonight I should be picking up a skimmer.

Well my sump is completed and I have my base rock now.

gallery_1682_498_106043.jpg

gallery_1682_498_112944.jpg

gallery_1682_498_39699.jpg

gallery_1682_498_65222.jpg

Not bad for DIY! I just need to finish curing the rock. Hopefully i can get the walls drywall one of these weekends so that I can set the tank up permanently.

Yeah I had been following RC's diy rock threads for a while and thought Id give it a try. The skimmer is an Octopus DNW-150 recirc that I pick up from weap0n_x.

• 2 months later...

I finally have the tank situated for good. I have all the equipment and I am in the process of filling the tank up with water. It will take me at least 3 more days to make enough water, but I need time to build my canopy anyways.

gallery_1682_498_31145.jpg

gallery_1682_498_53919.jpg

gallery_1682_498_6310.jpg

What with the eggcrate on the bottom of the tank?

The eggrate is under the sand to help distibute the weight of the rocks. It should also keep gobies and other sand sifters from ravaging the display sandbed.

The rock looks real nice. I bet you could throw a little bit more sand in that first section of the fuge to have a nice DSB in there. How is the canopy coming

Canopy is fully built and stained. I am applying my second coat of varnish now. Once that dry I can install my lights.

I expect to be done by tonight. Will have pictures up then.

The eggrate is under the sand to help distibute the weight of the rocks. It should also keep gobies and other sand sifters from ravaging the display sandbed.

Interesting....Why not then just place the rocks in first then pour the sand? I found the shifting in my rocks was very little when I placed the rocks on top of the sand.

(edited)

Canopy is built and light are installed. Here are some picks!

Here is a pic showing the stand and the canopy with all lights on.

gallery_1682_498_43192.jpg

Here are just the blues.

gallery_1682_498_18066.jpg

Here are all the lights on.

gallery_1682_498_25964.jpg

Edited by schulzjp

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

I am working on my fish live stock list and was looking for some suggestions. Here is what I was thinking:

2 clowns

1 six line wrasse

1 watchman goby

1 other wrasse

1 tang

Sixline,watchman, and one clown are coming from my 20 gallon. I also have a pistol shrimp that will be makign the move. I think I will get a cleaner shrimp and a peppermint as well. I eventually want to get a clam so I dont know If I want the cleaner. I feel like they mess with everything.

Would I be okay with 1 male and 2 female anthias? Any suggestions are appreciated.

• 1 month later...

All of the coral that I have had in my tank has been doing good so today I made the slurge and added some SPS frags. Here are some FTS that I just took.

gallery_1682_498_54744.jpg

gallery_1682_498_91256.jpg

Once I get some growth I will take close ups of the coral.

Looks great and is inspiring. I am actually doing almost exactly what you are, same tank, same powerheads, same skimmer, bit smaller sump. Right now its just getting the funds to make it all happen. What size pump did you use on your return?

Did you not want coralline algae growing in this tank?

Im using a Mag7 for my return. I do want coraline to grow but there is only a little in the display.

I have rocks covered with it in my fuge so i was hoping it will transfer to the display eventually. I dont want those rocks in my display though, because they are covered in gsp and I dont want that on my rockwork.

Thanks for the compliments.

I wanted to see if people think I am getting to my bioload max. Here is my curent fishlist:

1 Kole tang

1 Yellow tang

2 clowns (true/false? idk)

1 Lyretail Anthias

1 Six-line wrasse

1 Cleaner wrasse

1 Watchman Goby

Here is a list of what I still want, but im afraid to have to large of a bioload.

2 more anthias, royal gramma, another goby, a blenny. I was thinking I can get away with adding the royal gramma and a blenny. What do you think?

(edited)

I took a par reading of my tank today. Here are the results.

gallery_1682_498_104385.jpg

The readings were taken about 6 inches back from the glass

Edited by schulzjp