Lighting questions

schulzjp

I am looking into lights for the 90 gallon I am setting up. I am use to t5 only lights, but I am considering MH for the first time. Here are the options I plan on going with:

8 x 54T5HO overdriven on IceCap ballast w/ aquatinic reflectors

or

2 x 250W MH + 2 54T5HO for actinics

For upfront costs, i can save around $200 going the MH route, and prices for bulbs seem to be about the same (unless i get radium MH bulbs, then MH will cost more).

I plan on keeping SPS mostly and want a clam on the bottom. Does anyone have an opinion on which way to go?

Also, how do I know which is a good MH ballast? I was looking here (http://www.aquacave.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=438), and i dont know what the differnce would be based on ballast alone.

The tank will be located in my basement which is always cool, so MH heat isnt a factor. I prefer t5's based on the flexibility of bulbs for spectrum (id like to run a 6k and 10K bulb the first year to promote growth).

Edited by schulzjp

I am looking into lights for the 90 gallon I am setting up. I am use to t5 only lights, but I am considering MH for the first time. Here are the options I plan on going with:

8 x 54T5HO overdriven on IceCap ballast w/ aquatinic reflectors

or

2 x 250W MH + 2 54T5HO for actinics

For upfront costs, i can save around $200 going the MH route, and prices for bulbs seem to be about the same (unless i get radium MH bulbs, then MH will cost more).

I plan on keeping SPS mostly and want a clam on the bottom. Does anyone have an opinion on which way to go?

Also, how do I know which is a good MH ballast? I was looking here (http://www.aquacave.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=438), and i dont know what the differnce would be based on ballast alone.

The tank will be located in my basement which is always cool, so MH heat isnt a factor. I prefer t5's based on the flexibility of bulbs for spectrum (id like to run a 6k and 10K bulb the first year to promote growth).

I've seen plenty of tanks lit with t5 but they tend to be shallow tanks. The height of your tank will help narrow down what options you can really use.

I'd say MH because it's what the majority of SPS people use, it's got the intensity you need.

Jason,

IMO it just come down to preference. You can grow SPS and clams under both T5 and halide setups. The upfront cost on T5s if probably a bit steeper, but the bulbs are cheaper and will probably need to be replaced less often than halides. The T5s will also use less electricity saving you money in the long run. The halides will give you *glitter* lines that T5s don't offer. Look at tanks, look through the dedicated tank forum and then go from there.

As far as halide ballast choice, pick first which lamp/reflector you'd like to use. Many people use the spider reflectors with great success, but they aren't nearly as efficient as the lumenarcs or lumenbrights. Using halides with spiders is kinda akin to using T5s without individual reflectors... nothing wrong with it, just with a little bit more upfront you can get a lot more return from your investment. Once you've got your lamp/reflector chosen, then you can decide which ballast to go with (based on lamp manufacturer specs or spectral plot or energy savings or whatever your criteria is (I say go with manufacturer specs, but that's just me)).

Garrett.

That brings up another point. If i go T5 route, good reflectors are a must (im choosing aquatinics over IC SLR's because aquatinics 2" width will allow me to fit 8 in my canopy). But if I go with MH, how nessecary is it for me to get the nice reflectors, i like the cost savings of the spider reflectors but i dont want to spend money on a upgrade later.

Just an FYI, we will be setting up a group buy with icecap with a few possible other manufacturers for the meeting. Not to say looking for a used setup wouldn't be useful as well, but we may have some bood deals instore soon.

oh, and I love the MH glitter in a dark room.... I'd say splurge on the reflectors. I have 2 "spiders" sitting on the floor of my basement.

I had a 6 bulb Tek fixture on my 90g and I had not problems growing things. With the 8 bulbs being overdriven using aquactinics reflectors, I think you'll be safe with growing pretty much anything at all. MH, yeah you'll get the shimmer, but with T5s and the assortment of lamps you can get, you can get some pretty crazy color combos.

Good luck on deciding. :)

Not to hijack this thread but how does one overdrive T5's?

Basically, it is using a ballast that is capable of lighting a slightly larger bulb. Yes, you get more light out of the bulb but it also shortens the life of the bulb.

But how often would you need to replace a t5 bulb on a normal ballast verse being overdriven on a normal ballast? My understanding is that as long as you keep that bulb cool, you are fine.

Also, how often do most of you replace your t5s and/or your MHs?

Basically, it is using a ballast that is capable of lighting a slightly larger bulb. Yes, you get more light out of the bulb but it also shortens the life of the bulb.

I'm still confused.

I have 2 660's driving 6 T5's. Should I be using T12's or whatevers?

I also thought that if you keep the ballast cool, the bulbs will last longer?

No, don't run T12. And you have it reversed. You're to keep the bulbs cool, but only up to a certain point, if you overcool the bulbs, it could have adverse affects on the output. (Or so the readings say from Grim Reefer on RC).

T5s usually last anywhere from 9 months to 18 months depending on the usage. Typically people choose to replace the bulbs regardless around 12 months to 15 months, some folks change out the bulbs twice a year, but that's their preference.

No, don't run T12. And you have it reversed. You're to keep the bulbs cool, but only up to a certain point, if you overcool the bulbs, it could have adverse affects on the output. (Or so the readings say from Grim Reefer on RC).

T5s usually last anywhere from 9 months to 18 months depending on the usage. Typically people choose to replace the bulbs regardless around 12 months to 15 months, some folks change out the bulbs twice a year, but that's their preference.

I have always replaced my t5's at 12 months and I plan to do the same if i over drive them on this new tank. How often do most replace MH bulbs? I was under the impression ever 6-9 months.

Metal Halides are once again, dependent on how you use them. Some people change them every 6-9 months, other wait between 9-12, while still others wait 12-15.