Best nutrient exporter

zygote2k

How fast does your chaeto or other macroalgae grow? I'm getting 12" of growth every week from Dragons Breath. It outgrows anything that I have including chaeto. I would like to say that this is better than chaeto for nutrient export. Anyone have any info on this?

How fast does your chaeto or other macroalgae grow? I'm getting 12" of growth every week from Dragons Breath. It outgrows anything that I have including chaeto. I would like to say that this is better than chaeto for nutrient export. Anyone have any info on this?

My caulerpa ate my dragon's breath for lunch...

bob

Caulerpa is macroalgae that falls into the Chlorophyta Phylum (green algae group). It grows in various shades of bright green colors, as well as different forms and shapes - some growing tall, others growing as mats. With over a hundred of this species found in tropical and temperate waters worldwide, two of the most common forms popular with aquarists are the Feather and Grape varieties.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/algaecontrol/a/aa112000.htm

There are plenty of other scientific journals & studies that site Caulerpa as a macroalgae. The definition of macroalgae is not defined by an algae being a single celled or multi-celled organism.

Edited by Highland Reefer

Caulerpa is a single celled algae, not a macroalgae.
Maybe bubble algea, which is the biggest one celled organism on earth? thanks doug for that bit of trivia.