Safe to Use Pepsi Cola Drums??

About three months ago we picked up a used Pepsi Cola concentrate drum to store tank water at the flowerseller's Frag Fest party in McLean. After washing it out many times it still smells like soda. Since one of the main ingredients of Pepsi is phosphoric acid, which IS hydrogen phosphate, I was wondering if anyone else who got bought one has used it yet, and if there was any problem with algae or cyano blooms?

How do you get the smell out of it or more impotantly, any residue of its previous contents?

Cowrie

I have a 300 gal container that was used to hold orange oil. It still smells like citrus 6 years and countless water refills later. Never had a problem. I have used Dr. Pepper barrels as well, although the smell finally faded with them. I ran bleach through them initially, but I don't think that did much.

About three months ago we picked up a used Pepsi Cola concentrate drum to store tank water at the Flowerseller's Frag Fest party in McLean. After washing it out many times it still smells like soda. Since one of the main ingredients of Pepsi is phosphoric acid, which IS hydrogen phosphate, I was wondering if anyone else who got bought one has used it yet, and if there was any problem with algae or cyano blooms?

How do you get the smell out of it or more impotantly, any residue of its previous contents?

Cowrie

I have been using mine for 6 or so months now without problems. The last time I tested my Phosphates, they were zero using the Hach & Salifert Kits. I do not have any odors left at this point. I do not see any concerns with using these barrels. You would have a lot more phosphates brought in bound in used sand & used rock from a tank with higher phosphates then in one of these barrels rinsed well.

If you run some carbon in this tank, it may help with the odor. For what it is worth, Women have a lot more receptors for odors in their nose, then men and can detect odors to much lower concentrations then us guys. Ever wonder why the guys seem to splash on to much Cologne for women's preference?

Edited by Highland Reefer

I work for a sandwich place and instead of buying 5g buckets I take the empty pickle buckets. It is an endless supply of buckets but all smell like pickles, even one I have been using for over a year for random stuff. I haven't had any issues (other than 3 month old tank issues)

About three months ago we picked up a used Pepsi Cola concentrate drum to store tank water at the flowerseller's Frag Fest party in McLean. After washing it out many times it still smells like soda. Since one of the main ingredients of Pepsi is phosphoric acid, which IS hydrogen phosphate, I was wondering if anyone else who got bought one has used it yet, and if there was any problem with algae or cyano blooms?

Cowrie

Rinse real well. Fill it with water to the very top. Provided you are on city water, there should be just enough chlorine in the water the basically bleach out the smell in about a weeks time. Empty and rinse again real well.

Done.

I've done three this way and it works with no smell each time.

I've used 55 gallon drums that had caramel coloring in them. I scrubbed them out with a nylon brush, let pure bleach sit on the heavily concentrated areas then soaked the whole thing in bleach water for a couple days. After that I rinsed them several times. You can also use hydrogen peroxide to bleach out any stains or smells.

As long as the substance they held is non-toxic (preferably food grade) you can re-use them for aquaria.

The smell does make you want to gag the first time you smell it, but the bright side is that the smell will go away after awhile. I have a 55 gal drum that used to smell like concentrated Dr Pepper and a 30 gal drum that used to smell like concentrated pepsi. Now, I can't smell anything at all unless I put my face into the drum.

I like the smell of my Dr Pepper barrel :biggrin: