Loud Drain, Please help

MOT

Hey all, I am very proud to say I have plumbed my tank and have no leaks and it is very functional. HOWEVER... it is kinda loud. The whole thing is soft plumbing. I think the bubbles that are coming out of the drains are making the sound. When I put my hand under the drain it helped a lot. The drain does go below the water level in the sump. Another thing that is making noising is the anti-siphon hole in the return, it is producing a piddling sound. Anybody have any ideas as to quieting either of these noises? thanks, Tom

Honestly, I think youd get over it.

Mine was kinda loud when I set up my dual overflow system. I dont even notice it now. Actually it kinda adds to the whole underwater reef fish thing.

I think I've got it. I'm gonna try this when I get home from work... So my drain is goes straight down into the sump... I'll put 90 degree elbow as it enters the sump... run that for a few inches... then put a t-junction in it. An open end going strait up and an open end going into my filter sock. I saw some other people doing this on some other websites and were getting good results. This should allow the bubbles to be vented out.

I think I've got it. I'm gonna try this when I get home from work... So my drain is goes straight down into the sump... I'll put 90 degree elbow as it enters the sump... run that for a few inches... then put a t-junction in it. An open end going strait up and an open end going into my filter sock. I saw some other people doing this on some other websites and were getting good results. This should allow the bubbles to be vented out.

I did something like this and it worked!!!

I have the quietest return in the world.. 1800 gph, making no sound as it returns to the sump. My sump was built by Dandy ... it has a 'tray' that holds three filter socks. The return (in this case it comes in at a 90, like you are talking about) is into the 'tray'. If you can't quiet it down any other way - try adding a 'tray' like that... unless Dan has it patented. :)

bob