Trying to make a comeback after tank crash!

phisigs79

Ok after all is said and done I lost more than 90% of what was in my tank due to a tank crash back in July. I have taken it slowly to correct the problem (Chloramine) and believe my tank is ready to go once again. I lost a couple fish and my beloved RBTA as well. I am trying to see if anyone out there has some frags that they got from me. Let me know what you have and how much you want for it. I appreciate your help in advance

Chloramine is Chlorine bonded to ammonia. My water company switched from Chlorine to Chloramine and i had old filters on my DI. Carbon will absorb Chloramine but passes ammonia. DI picks up ammonia but only if the DI resin is still good. Chloramine will throw off ammonia test kits so i tested for everything and it looked like everything was on target but really ammonia was present therefore killing most of my SPS and some fish. It was that and a combo of a low PH/High ph spike. Corals were unhealth at the point to no return. It sucks but it was a lesson learned at i high price. I want to take it slow with a few frags to make sure the tank is truely ready and move on rebuilding my tank. Rik when i am 110% confident that my tank is ready i will PM you.

Chloramine is Chlorine bonded to ammonia. My water company switched from Chlorine to Chloramine and i had old filters on my DI. Carbon will absorb Chloramine but passes ammonia. DI picks up ammonia but only if the DI resin is still good. Chloramine will throw off ammonia test kits so i tested for everything and it looked like everything was on target but really ammonia was present therefore killing most of my SPS and some fish. It was that and a combo of a low PH/High ph spike. Corals were unhealth at the point to no return. It sucks but it was a lesson learned at i high price. I want to take it slow with a few frags to make sure the tank is truely ready and move on rebuilding my tank. Rik when i am 110% confident that my tank is ready i will PM you.

I was under the impression that Chloramine (and Chlorine) was always used in DC metro water (at least for the past 6 yrs that I've been in the reef hobby). I also thought that regular RO/DI would take care of it. I suppose TDS measurement cannot be used alone to judge true water quality.

What additional steps are you taking now to prevent this from reoccurring?

--Rob

changing my filters like i should of been :biggrin:

What makes me think that? Well all my parameters were right on and the only thing that changed was the switch from chlorine to chloramine and my filters were very old. I find out they changed this almost one week before my problems started

Not saying that you may have missed something, but wasn't there a story once about a guy that one day went to the gas station and got some gas. He came home and saw that one of his frags had came lose so he thought nothing of it and he just put his hands in the tank and put the frag back where it belonged. Not too long after all his livestock started dying. He didn't realize why they were dying because all of his parameters where spot on. I think from there, he sent a sample in to do some extensive water tests and found out that there were traces of gasoline or some other chemical that was given off because he didn't wash his hands before putting his hands in the tank. Forget where that came from, but if I ever find out, I'll post it up.

Edited by amay121

Anything could be possible but I thought it was funny how the only change that I knew of was a chemical change in the water and bad filters I was running. I could be totally wrong. The ph dip didnt make matters any better as well. I added a filter media that absorbs heavy metals and was supposed to turn black if they were present but it never changed color

Hey Chris,

It's probably a good idea to invest in a Chloramine test kit (Hach CN-70) to be able to see when it's time to change the RO pre-filters. I'm definitely getting that when I return to the hobby.

--Rob

Anything could be possible but I thought it was funny how the only change that I knew of was a chemical change in the water and bad filters I was running. I could be totally wrong. The ph dip didnt make matters any better as well. I added a filter media that absorbs heavy metals and was supposed to turn black if they were present but it never changed color

I appreciate all the offers and will be contacting people shortly :biggrin:

I'm going to go ahead and put this out there again. I dump unadulterated tap in my tank. No water conditioner, no letting it sit, no RO/DI, no tempature regulation. From tap to tank no alteration.

Contains (HUGE RBTA), rics, shrooms, monties, zoas, sponges, and of course fish and inverts.

Chris if any of the SPS frags in xtina's and my tank grow out enough I can snip something off.

Jason-

Think about this long term with the tap water. If you are replacing evaporated water from your system to maintain salinity, then over time the chlomides and other heavy metal toxics build up. No matter how many water changes you do dilution can not get you out of this. It is like Magnesium in reverse, If your system is using some magnesium - you can never get back to the correct balance (without 100% water change all at once)- (not advisable or feasble for the critters). your only answer is add the trace element. (Note that with Magnesium- if you have low Salinity it will be difficult to raise magnesium if you are testing for it.) I have taken down too many 3-6 year old tanks that were essentially pickled and not able to maintain anything but the hardiest of critters, aptasia, majano, some crabs and snails that were using tap water long term. Most of your LPS and SPS corals just need more pristine water than that.

Your experiment, because this hobby is more art than science, but giving anyone setting up the impression that they can or should follow suit is wrong.

Regards,

Lee Stearns