Mandarin Goby

sen5241b

Has anyone reccomended Sushi Roe? Go to any asian/oriental market, and get sushi roe, soaked in water, not vinegar or saltwater, and offer them that. Many go after it with vigor, and it is highly nutritious. u'll spend about $4

I have also seen them take frozen cyclopeeze and that Nutramar Ova frozen food product, its Prawn Roe ...Pipefish take it realitvely quickly, so a mandarin should have no problem. it is somewhat expensive however, thinkin $9-12 dollars.

Good Luck

BrendanG

Has anyone reccomended Sushi Roe? Go to any asian/oriental market, and get sushi roe, soaked in water, not vinegar or saltwater, and offer them that. Many go after it with vigor, and it is highly nutritious. u'll spend about $4

I have also seen them take frozen cyclopeeze and that Nutramar Ova frozen food product, its Prawn Roe ...Pipefish take it realitvely quickly, so a mandarin should have no problem. it is somewhat expensive however, thinkin $9-12 dollars.

Good Luck

BrendanG

This has worked very well. He chows on them immediately. I noticed that after a few minutes the orange comes off and the eggs turn clearish --food coloring? He does not seem to eat them after the orange washes off. I think these eggs have a lot of fatty acids -nutritious?

You have to be careful when buying live Brine shrimp at your LFS. The water does not get change that often. Can be alot of bad Parasites in any given batch. If you want to feed live Brine i suggest getting a hatchery.

Just my opinion.

FOR THE WIN I had a mandrin in a 24 gallon nano cube with refugium.... he was a great fish a glorious fish until his DAD (ie me) took the gf to the local fish store and purchased a scooter blenny... scooter blenny crashed the tanks pods within 4 days... needless to say the mandrin lost out... I had the little guy for about 1 year and he was a fat healthy fish! So what did I learn don't add two fish that depend on the same food source...

Oh and my fish did eat micropellets It was such a butt to train...I had to come in feed my fish and then wait for him to come out to ****** up the pods going for the pellets and drop the sinking micro pellets almost on his head from about 5 inches above the tank so he didn't see my hand eventaully he was very tame... and would eat with the other fish... but they do need a constant source of pods :( I miss the little guy in hind note the blenny eats pellets now too... I have a live rock tank though almost 2/3 of the tank is live rock and a refugium.... wouldn't have put him in there with any less... If your looking to get a mandrin make sure they cup scoop them no nets I had one die in the bag that was net scooped they have very slimy fish skin that gets damaged .... also if you can get one from someone thats getting out of the hobby they are healthier then wild caught... Mine was huge about 3 inches and it came out of a 120 gallon live rock tank.... anyway not a fish for beginers. Not a fish for nanos smaller then 24 g and lots of live rock....

I bought a hatchery for mine and got a nice batch of artemia out of it. The problem was feeding. I tried using clear airline tubing to deliver it, but he would zip away the moment something broke the surface of the water. I tried this for several hours, including just leaving the airline tube in there for him to inspect, but he never seemed to catch on. Finally, I just released the batch of them into the tank, and he picked at the rocks where they fell like crazy.

While I'm happy that he got a meal, I'm starting to really get concerned. I know he will eat mysis because he's done it before, but I have yet to come up with an effective way to wean him back onto it. I have a little "mandarin feeder" olive jar in the back, but it usually just ends up being a "greedy flame angel feeder", and I haven't actually observed the mandarin even going into it.

So I guess I'm looking for effective means of food delivery here... how do you get the mandarin's attention and keep it?

Mine is eating Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 pellets. I mixed them with the Sushi Roe for few days in a row and last night I only put pellets in and he went for them. Breeders, (see mofib) swear that you must train them to eat Selcon enriched frozen mysis or brine shrimp but I'm thinking sushi roe and pellets may be an alternative.

I see mine eat every single day, either pods, pellets, enriched live brine shrimp, sushi roe and some frozen but he still looks skinny.

here ...