Wave Makers

reefmontalvo

Does anybody have a wavemaker?

I'm on E-bay looking at various Wavemakers, not looking to buy on there but just getting ideas and doing research.

Who has them and who knows what the benefits will become of using a 2 pump, 3 pump or 4 pump wave maker?

Chris, I used a Red Sea Wavemaster Pro in conjunction with a bunch of Maxijets. It can control up to four pumps, or can be configured to support three timed pumps and one main pump. It has a feeding mode that shuts the main pump down for 30 minutes to allow the food in the tank to stay there and not head to the overflow. It's compatible with maxijets and pumps that don't have a preferred start-up direction (which excludes Koralias and Maxijet mods and the like).

It's a decent wavemaker for the price (it runs something on the order of $150) which is a lot less than some other wavemakers. It gets the job done.

Since I switched to Koralias in my display, I don't use it anymore and it's sitting on the shelf awaiting either some other duty or some other home.

Hmm I may have to check out the system. I figured I step up since I noticed the tunze's I have are great butthey would be even better if they oscillated and caused a surge just like the ocean.

Chris, the Red Sea is not compatible with the Tunze's, unfortunately. Your Tunze's are DC controllable the Wavemaster Pro is an AC on-off (bang-bang) switch controlled with an embedded processor. You pretty much have to stick with the Tunze wavemaker which ramps the motor voltage up and down to create the surges. You've got some quality powerheads there, but to make waves you're probably going to have to go with their pump.

Figures I gave a one kidney for those nice pumps. I guess Iwill have to give an arm now or maybe a lung. :wig: I will probably just go the Tunze route, I already have the Tunze pumps and Protein Skimmer when not top off with the Tunze wave maker. LOL