20k vs 14k

zygote2k

I'm going to put a 250w 20k next to a 400w 14k. What will they look like side by side?

Will one drastically wash out the other? Will it look ok? Anyone have this combination or maybe had both?

Speaking of the Kelvin value which is the best? I was told 10k is great for growth and 14k-20k will hinder the growth of corals. But I do look forward to your comparison shots.

I'm going to put a 250w 20k next to a 400w 14k. What will they look like side by side?

Will one drastically wash out the other? Will it look ok? Anyone have this combination or maybe had both?

I had a 14K flanked by 2 10Ks for a while, but they were all 250W. The difference was fairly subtle, and there was enough overlap to cause a lot of blending, but I still didn't like it.

Speaking of the Kelvin value which is the best? I was told 10k is great for growth and 14k-20k will hinder the growth of corals. But I do look forward to your comparison shots.

There really is no "best" it just depends on your purposes. 6500k is actually great for coral growth - but it is very yellow and promotes nuisance algae growth as well, no no one uses it. Of the temperatures that are most commonly used, 10k generally promotes the best growth, 20k does not necessarily hinder the growth of corals, but it may be slower than 10k. 20k provides an intense blue color that makes coral colors really pop.

Edited by Brian Ward

There really is no "best" it just depends on your purposes. 6500k is actually great for coral growth - but it is very yellow and promotes nuisance algae growth as well, no no one uses it...

I do!

My 29G has a 6.5KK light and is doing well. Rics and gorgonians both growing, and no nuisance algae (unless you count Ochtodes, which I have to trim back every week).

Sanjay Joshi has done a lot of research into the color temperatures of various bulbs, and a lot that claim to be 20K aren't.

-R

Edit: forgot to mention that it was intended to be a seagrass tank, thus the 6500K bulb....but other than turtle grass, all the other seagrasses died off!

Edited by lancer99