Switching lighting

Brian

In the 90 I have 2 150W MH lights and I want to try and get more light into the tank. If I want to upgrade to say 400W what would I need to do? Could I just replace the ballast for a 400W ballast and keep the same wiring? Do I need to swap out the wiring and the harness for the bulbs?

Thanks

You'll have to get all new equipment. The bulb sockets are different between 150 and 400 watt halides. Are you running DE or SE bulbs?? Either way, both require a socket upgrade. SE halides use the same size socket for 250 and 400. DE bulbs have different size sockets for 150, 250, and 400.

I'll also say that you will have a considerable difference in heat transfer between the 150 and 400 bulbs. Using 400watt bulbs on a 90gal tank, I don't see how you'll be able to do that without the help of a chiller. I've seen plenty of people run 400watters without having to use a chiller, but those people have had much larger tanks (300+ gallon systems) which allows for a larger distribution of heat. I would try 250watt bulbs first, a 90gal tank isn't tall enough to require 400watt bulbs.

There is some used lighting in the "for sale" section right now. I'd look in that.

I agree that going to 2 400W lights on a 90 is probably a bit much. I have 2 400W lights on my 120 and it's quite bright. The MH lights actually overpower the actinic supplementation. Also, chiller is definitely required - I actually burn my hands when they're over the water surface while I'm working. I would go with 250W units over a 90. I was actually going to do 250 over my 120 but I got a decent deal on the 400W ballasts.

What are you hoping to achieve by adding more light? Specifically, what do you want to keep in your 90? Certain anemones might require that much lighting, and certain clams might appreciate it, but if you aren't doing a species specific tank then I wouldn't do it. 2x250 will be more than enough and this way you can supplement with VHO or T5 depending on your mood.

Garrett.

Yeah right now I have a couple anemones in the tank and they just don't seem happy with the light. Also I got some zoas and even at the highest part of the rock work they still seem to be stretching for more light. So really just want o make sure everything is getting enough light no matter where they are in the tank. I would like to go to T5 but not sure how to put it over my tank since the hood is there and the lighting for the MH is already attached. just want to make things happy in the tank by providing more light.

Brian, T5s can put out as much par as halides, and generally as they consume less power they will be cheaper to operate and will add less heat into the system/house. How does your current hood work? Is it a canopy that rests on top of the tank or is it a pendant that is suspended/supported above the tank? You might be able to retrofit in some new lights (be it new halides or T5s or some combination).

G.

Easy enough Brian. Tear that out and retrofit in whatever you decide to go with. My recommendation is to decide on the bulb you want to use, then the best reflector/ballast to go with it. If you do go with just T5s, get individual reflectors. The upfront cost is high, but the return is huge.

G.

Another option with T5s is to get one of the Current Sundial fixtures. These are designed specifically to fit inside canopies because they put the fans in the back of the fixture, not the sides. Mine worked great inside my Mom's canopy over her 90gal. Check them out here: http://www.current-usa.com/sundial_t5ho

There is somebody selling a Sundial in the for sale section :biggrin:

I'll also say that you will have a considerable difference in heat transfer between the 150 and 400 bulbs. Using 400watt bulbs on a 90gal tank, I don't see how you'll be able to do that without the help of a chiller. I've seen plenty of people run 400watters without having to use a chiller, but those people have had much larger tanks (300+ gallon systems) which allows for a larger distribution of heat. I would try 250watt bulbs first, a 90gal tank isn't tall enough to require 400watt bulbs.

There is some used lighting in the "for sale" section right now. I'd look in that.

I use a 400w 14k on the 40 breeder. It makes everything radiant. My tank runs 76-78 on any given day. If you are willing to suspend the halide without a canopy or hood, you will probably be able to get away with 2)

400's on the 90.