Aquapod 12 questions

zygote2k

I have a 12 gal Aquapod and I'd like to know what others do to the filter areas in the back. In other words, I'd like to remove some of the media, but don't know which. Has anyone ever built a refugium in the media compartment?. Is there a chiller and/or sump that fits perfectly in the square stand that comes with it? Has anyone gotten any sps to grow with the power compacts?

• 4 weeks later...

Great topic. I hope we get some responses. :)

The 12 Gallon Aquapod has large compartment space, however, it is often best, in reef setups that you remove all media, the Sponge, holds detritus, that as it breaks down, creates nitrates, the bio media, ceramic rings, are often used for biological filtration, however, being brand new, there is no beneficial bacteria, and if left in the tank, will collect detritus, and you will have to wait until beneficial bacteria becomes large enough to break down the nitrates that have been held in the ceramic rings, so its usually best to trash it.

I usually advise, only keeping carbon, purigen, chemipure ect. in the back chambers, as far as a fuge goes, Chamber 1 can be used as long as your able to light it adequately. I happen to find an AC 70 with a modded impeller, 3 instead of 6 impellers, filled with chaeto, will keep all NO3 PO4 to a minimum. I happen to use it on both my AP 12 HQI and AP 24 HQI, and never have had a problem. I do weekly 2 gallon wc's on the 12g since it is heavily stocked.