Bloody Copperband

civitan.erichanson

I just came home very happy with picking up a new shrimp and a small Hippo Tang. I start the drip for the shrimp and then --

I notice my Copperband is laying upside down in the tank. One of his sides has bloody scrapes. His long snout is open and he is "breathing" fast. I did notice last night that he was sideways in the rock work, but he was in the back and I could not really see what he was doing. But I did see him swimming around this morning.

Not really sure what to do. I do not have a QT tank set up, and I do not really have much addiitonal SW to set one up. but I can make some.

No one is bothering him.

Help!!

If you can remove him and put him in a smaller tank by himself would be better, just incase if he is sick and you don't want your other fish to get sick.

All those signs point to an internal infection, sounds kinda bad as well......QT and treat ASAP!

Found a lil bit more info..... sounds like it is septicemia. VERY BAD!

"Septicemia kills the fish within the week unless treated. Dilated blood vessles in the caudal fin of large fish is normal, especially when unhappily confined or indoors. Nitrates also cause dilation of caudal fin vessels."

Mardel maracyn 2 treats it, anyone else have any other suggestions. I feel bad giving this news! Sorry hope he can recover!

Its actually on his body - not fins, but I better get him out.

Thanks.

All those signs point to an internal infection, sounds kinda bad as well......QT and treat ASAP!

Found a lil bit more info..... sounds like it is septicemia. VERY BAD!

"Septicemia kills the fish within the week unless treated. Dilated blood vessles in the caudal fin of large fish is normal, especially when unhappily confined or indoors. Nitrates also cause dilation of caudal fin vessels."

Mardel maracyn 2 treats it, anyone else have any other suggestions. I feel bad giving this news! Sorry hope he can recover!

Poor baby :-( You really should get him out of there before things do start picking on him.

Eric,

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks to me as though he's very skinny. Are you sure he's been eating well?

I concur with the others that it doesn't look like septicemia, although septicemia can present on the fish's body. But your fish doesn't look like it has septicemia.

Jon