Drilling a tank

Neilan

I'm in the process of setting up a 72g bowfront that I got from Ziggy. I'll post a thread with all my build up pics later, but I'm having some troubles.

So I set out tonight to drill the tanks. The plan was to drill a 10g (used as fuge), then the 72g DT for a CL.

Started on the 10g tank - shattered it. Figured I was going too fast, so for fun I tried the other side - shattered it too.

Seen all the videos on youtube, I applied no pressure, even on the second one I held back the weight of the drill. I don't get it.

Standard 10g tank, not tempered glass, what gives?

Only thing I can figure is I'm drilling to close to the top of the tank, but I was more than an inch from the plastic rim.

Any thoughts?

I'm now scared to death to try drilling the 72.

Edited by Neilan

Try placing a board under the glass pane you are drilling on. Then support the board. That way you are not flexing the pane.

In other words the weight of the tank should be supported by the pane you are drilling on.

Bruce

I'm in the process of setting up a 72g bowfront that I got from Ziggy. I'll post a thread with all my build up pics later, but I'm having some troubles.

So I set out tonight to drill the tanks. The plan was to drill a 10g (used as fuge), then the 72g DT for a CL.

Started on the 10g tank - shattered it. Figured I was going too fast, so for fun I tried the other side - shattered it too.

Seen all the videos on youtube, I applied no pressure, even on the second one I held back the weight of the drill. I don't get it.

Standard 10g tank, not tempered glass, what gives?

Only thing I can figure is I'm drilling to close to the top of the tank, but I was more than an inch from the plastic rim.

Any thoughts?

I'm now scared to death to try drilling the 72.

10g tanks have very thin glass and it can be difficult to drill them. I doubt seriously that it was tempered though. Find someone with a larger tank that is cracked or is a leaker and destined for the trash. Drill a few holes in it to build up your confidence and get some experience. If I can do it, so can you!

Only problem with lots of practice, glass drill bits don't last forever.

10gal is a tough tank to drill, but a cheap drill press increases success by a huge margin. I don't recall cracking a 10gal, but have busted a few smaller ones(2.5, 5, 1/2-10gals, etc).

This is similar to my press except mine is only a 3speed:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=44506

I use the lowest setting, support the inside of the tank, lubricate with a hose trickling over the pane I am drilling.

Thin glass and hand held drill deflection are a bad combination.

Best of luck.

If I can do it, so can you!

"Can we do it? YES WE CAN!" (so said Bob)

Now that you have shattered two sides of the 10g, you still have 3 more sides to practice on! As Traveller7 suggest...create a moat or run water.

When I drilled a 10 I supported the tank from the inside, used some clay to build a water dam and used a drill press to control speed, angle and presure.

Bruce

Thanks everyone, makes me feel much better hearing about the fragility of a 10g.

I was running water on it, but didn't support the inside of the glass pane. I set duct tape to catch the puck, but that was it.

I'll see if I can get ahold of a better tank to practice on. And will look into a drill press as well. Guess at this point I should pick up another drill bit too.

Any tips on drilling the 72? Because it's a bowfront, I'm worried about setting it face down so that I can drill it vertically - since it's bowed I'm afraid that'll put too much pressure on the bow since it can't even out the force accross the entire front face of the tank.

Here again, you should not be resting the tank on the bow front but rather supporting it from the back side that you would be drilling.

Bruce

Thanks everyone, makes me feel much better hearing about the fragility of a 10g.

I was running water on it, but didn't support the inside of the glass pane. I set duct tape to catch the puck, but that was it.

I'll see if I can get ahold of a better tank to practice on. And will look into a drill press as well. Guess at this point I should pick up another drill bit too.

Any tips on drilling the 72? Because it's a bowfront, I'm worried about setting it face down so that I can drill it vertically - since it's bowed I'm afraid that'll put too much pressure on the bow since it can't even out the force accross the entire front face of the tank.

As long as the back is not tempered, you can do it with the tank upright. You should ask Bob, YBeNormal, for suggestion. The guy has lots of practice on this. It's also easier to have a second person to assist you as well.

I just got done drilling m3fan8ic's tank no problems. I took my time and keep a constant speed; the tank was a 75g the glass is pretty thick I think about 1/4 inch. Either way if you want I can drill your tank. I even drilled my own tank as well. I have lots of years of using power hand tools. I am an aircraft mechanic with ten years in the field, about six of those years working in sheet metal and composites. PM me if your interested.