150 maintenance build up

zygote2k

One year later-

Just replaced the 400w HQI with 3) 20k 40degree PAR38's. Left side 175w 20k HQI, right side LED. I'll be replacing the othe HQI with 3 more LED's. Color is so much better with these over 14k halides.

Look at the last picture I posted and see how much the Duncan has grown.

gallery_2631654_582_919090.jpg

gallery_2631654_582_278085.jpg

I'm going to use 60's in the center on either side of the center brace to allow more dispersal of light. The only thing in the center is the big Trumpet coral.

Finished the LED installation for 6 total bulbs. 5) 40 degree and 1) 60 degree. I think the lighting is simply spectacular. All of the light is on the corals, rock, and sand. Very little light oon the glass or escaping into the room.

gallery_2631654_582_242775.jpg

gallery_2631654_582_158519.jpg

That is a 6ft tank right, and how tall..? And how far off the water are the bulbs..? Looks good.. I drove past there the other day, I shouldve stopped in and looked..

That is a 6ft tank right, and how tall..? And how far off the water are the bulbs..? Looks good.. I drove past there the other day, I shouldve stopped in and looked..

It's 78"x16"x28". Bulbs are 6" off the water. The chiro and the customers absolutely think these lights are much better than the MH. They think the colors are fantastic too.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this tank in person yesterday and looks great..! The height of the tank really works better with the 40 optics, IMO the 40 optics on a more shallow tank may be to "spotlighted" but in this tall tank they look awesome.. I did see this tank in person prior to the LEDs aswell, and it looks so much better now..! Nice work Rob..!

My guess would be that they photograph different from tanks with MH/fluorescent lighting at least in part because the light that they throw is more focused and directional. Even with reflectors traditional lamps are almost certainly going to create far more light spill than LED.

Rob- You seem to have put these PAR38's in several tanks. Do you find that in general they light up entire rooms less than MH/fluorescent? I know that my 180 puts out a lot of light in a very large room just from light spill out of the tanks glass.

I am interested in seeing some LED lit tanks in person. Anyone know of any in the Bowie / Silver Spring area? Either Aqua Illuminations or Evil's Par 38's. It is too hard to tell how they look thru photographs. Any stores have display tanks with LED's?

My guess would be that they photograph different from tanks with MH/fluorescent lighting at least in part because the light that they throw is more focused and directional. Even with reflectors traditional lamps are almost certainly going to create far more light spill than LED.

Rob- You seem to have put these PAR38's in several tanks. Do you find that in general they light up entire rooms less than MH/fluorescent? I know that my 180 puts out a lot of light in a very large room just from light spill out of the tanks glass.

They photograph differently because the shimmer wreaks havoc on digital camera photo sensors. The way that I mount them, the light is directed onto the coral and surrounding areas only- no leaky light issues. Troy is the only one that I know of that uses these and has a light spillage issue simply because he mounted them too high IMO.

I am interested in seeing some LED lit tanks in person. Anyone know of any in the Bowie / Silver Spring area? Either Aqua Illuminations or Evil's Par 38's. It is too hard to tell how they look thru photographs. Any stores have display tanks with LED's?

One of my maintenance customers has a tank in Silver Spring that uses 8) of the 40degree bulbs. Maybe he'll chime in...

One of my maintenance customers has a tank in Silver Spring that uses 8) of the 40degree bulbs. Maybe he'll chime in...

That would be great! I work at NOAA off of Colesville Rd. and East West Hwy...

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...