150 G tank filtration requirement

mling

I am moving to a new house this month and I am taking this chance to consolidate my two 50 G tanks in to one big 150G or so tank. I am planning to set up the 150G, cycle it, than move the 2 50Gs to it in about 3 weeks time. I have already purchased 160 pounds of live rock. Yes, I have the rock but not the tank! Passed by Dr Mac yesterday and couldn

Buy exactly the tank you want, even if you have to wait longer for the other components. It's easy to add a skimmer or lights to a tank after it's set up, but it's very hard to upgrade the actual tank.

It's not a bad idea to leave the LR in the tubs for a while to make sure there's no die-off. Sure, the LR is probably alreadt mostly cured, but that doesn't mean it's completely cured. All those sponges can release nasty toxins when they die, and there's no test kit for those chemicals. Better to have that happen in a tub of water than in your tank.

Jon

Edited by Jon Lazar

I agree with the buy exactly what you want statement.

I ran my 110 gallon reef ready tank without using the overflows and a HOB skimmer while I was getting the plumping out the sump with no problems - just use plenty of flow in the tank with the LR.