AC3 Wireless Bridge

yauger

Need some help folks... What would you reccomend for a wireless bridge to connect my AC3 to the internet? and how would I go about hooking it up? thanks a million in advance!

You should be able to use a wireless game console adaptor. The kind for hooking up wired ethernet-equipped consoles. Like this one

thanks!!! just what I'm looking for... BTW any chance you have seen this for sale at bestbuy or circuitcity?

Not sure about Springfield, but Best Buy here in Fairfax were pretty much useless and did not carry these. Circuit city had one type, but it wasn't the Linksys brand. I'd check online. Or Micro Center.

I believe everything's wireless N now so you should be able to find wireless G for a lot cheaper these days...

Edited by audible

best buy sometimes has them. you have to go to the better-stocked stores. and about price, these stupid wireless bridges and ridiculously expensive because the primary market is gaming. they're basically the wireless router that sells for $40 but with fewer features and flexibility. but the router is limited and won't do the job so you have to pay $90 - $100 for these. Of course, you can get the WRT54G router and hack it with new firmware since they run on linux, but that's getting more technical than I think you're looking for

You can also get a wireless range extender, typically about the same price as a router, and plug the AC3 into the range extender's single ethernet port. I know it works because I've done exactly this with a Linksys WRT54G + extender. The config may be a bit trickier than the game adaptor though.

what about the Airport Express... i have a spare one that should work?

Picture2.png

Use AirPort Express to create a new wireless network3 or to extend the range of your existing AirPort-based network.....

according the the apple website

what about the Airport Express... i have a spare one that should work?

Use AirPort Express to create a new wireless network3 or to extend the range of your existing AirPort-based network.....

according the the apple website

Robie, that should work just fine, or atleast we will find out tonight! :cheers:

Robie, that should work just fine, or atleast we will find out tonight! :cheers:

please report back on that bridge... if it works i'll own one tomorrow!

please report back on that bridge... if it works i'll own one tomorrow!

don't know why but using the airport express didn't work. maybe if someone who has better experience with setting up the network via a apple airport express....

don't know why but using the airport express didn't work. maybe if someone who has better experience with setting up the network via a apple airport express....

For some reason I remember that the apple airport is different from standard 802.11b/g/n and they don't interoperate.

and be done.

Fishing wires through 3 floors isn't always possible. I do CAT5 whenever I can. Josh, if you want to try and run a hard line I can help you out. I have a couple boxes of cable and I can put the ends on for you.

I do CAT5 whenever I can. Josh, if you want to try and run a hard line I can help you out. I have a couple boxes of cable and I can put the ends on for you.

It's only going from one room thru to the next and I offered that during one of the phone calls early on yesterday.

I think his secret middle name is "Dave"

It's only going from one room thru to the next and I offered that during one of the phone calls early on yesterday.

I think his secret middle name is "Dave"

Oh... I figured he had the computer, modem, etc upstairs in one of the bedrooms...

Josh - run a CAT 5 wire.

But Brian, wireless is so way cool....................

wireless is a constant pita. that's why when i get the choice i pull CAT-5 and put ethernet jacks in every room of the house. of course that was in newer construction single family houses. now that i'm in this 1913 rowhouse and the "outside" walls are plaster over the brick firewall it's not as practial .....

But Brian, wireless is so way cool....................

haha Chip you're a hoot... yeah I think Robie and I came to the conclusion that running CAT6 cabling would be easier... going to try again today I think... round 2! DING!

I use a netgear ethernet extender. the package comes with two modules, which each plug into electrical outlets and transmit/receive over the house's electrical wiring. One unit is plugged in by the tank (ACIII), the other unit is plugged in by the (wireless) router. Use CAT5 cable to connect tank to its associated module and CAT5 cable to connect ACIII to its associated module and VOILA!, they're talking to each other.

(BTW, why is this on the BRK vendor forum?)

Edited by Kengar

I use a netgear ethernet extender. the package comes with two modules, which each plug into electrical outlets and transmit/receive over the house's electrical wiring. One unit is plugged in by the tank (ACIII), the other unit is plugged in by the (wireless) router. Use CAT5 cable to connect tank to its associated module and CAT5 cable to connect ACIII to its associated module and VOILA!, they're talking to each other.

You just have to be sure they're on the same power phase. That's not terribly hard if you understand home wining but is a real pain if you don't.

AC3 was purchased from BRK and I was seeking help from them and or anyone who can see this thread. :cheers: