Getting Rid of Anthelia

bk_market

One side of my tank is getting cover by anthelia. Putting kalk paste on them is not an option because they are growing all over my sps encrusting on that rock and I dont want kill the sps that is near by.

Now Im thinking of manunally using a scissor to cut off all the anthelia which I tried but just a small portion. I got bunch of anthelia that I cut off floating around my tank. Not sure if this will do any bad effect to my tank though.. Will this cause a spike of some sort?

Having pieces of anthelia floating around your tank will just make it spread like ragweed. The only way to eliminate it is to physically remove it, down to the last molecule. Any little bit of tissue left on the rock will grow into a new colony. I have been battling it for years, and hope that some day someone will find a nudibranch that eats it.

I tried a bit of kalk too, maybe not enough but they seem to be able to grow back after a day of looking pale.

I wished I introduced pulsin xenia instead of anthelia because at least xenia look kinda cool when they pulse.

Edited by bk_market

The best way to remove anthelia from rockwork is with a small piece of medical gauze. Hold the gauze between your fingers and use it to pinch the anthelia and then tear the anthelia it off the rock. This also works great for xenia and mushrooms. The gauze defeats the slipperiness of the coral.

Jon

• 1 month later...

Anthelia, kenya tree, capnella, etc.... I refuse to add this to my tank/system and I refuse to pass them around to newcomers. In fact, I recommend that newcomers don't add these things to their tanks. Much like caulerpa, aptasia, bubble algae, these corals are a bane to me. Once established, they are almost impossible to eradicate and control. I have seen beautiful tanks overtaken by 2-300 + frags of these corals, each one growing into a mother colony that will drop more buds.

I know newcomers are excited by the fact that they are getting free corals (as many people give these things away), but I would strongly advise against accepting them. The novelty will of the free brown coral will wear off. You'll want to add "prettier" more colorful corals in short order, but you'll have this plague in your tank.

Garrett.

They are fine if you only let them grow on an island, at a distance that is too far for them to reach across. Same with GSP. People who receive the freebies just need to know to do this.