300 or 220?

amay121

personally like the dimensions of the 300g but the price is right for the 220g. Im not a fan of a 30" deep tank and like the 30" width the 300g gives you

Cost of tank will be 10% of the cost of the rest of the items... Also, you will need more $ for larger equipment and more supplies.

2c..I would add up the difference for the tank plus equipment to figure out the true cost difference. Then, if it makes a difference, decide if $ is a factor.

Too late, going with the 220. The extra $$ that I save will allow me to get better equipment down the line and I'd rather have what I want, rather that what I just need. :)

Very good advice has been given. Everything I was going to say, has already been said. I wouldn't want to have a 30" tall tank, but at that price, I say go for that one. It would be nice to have the 30" of depth, but being 8' long means alot more expenses in regards to lighting and such. I guess you could just go real simple and have a metal halide only system though. I've seen plenty of nice tanks without all the additional supplementations, just gotta have the right bulbs so you don't need actinics. Have each of them turn on sequentially from one side to the other, a few minutes apart from each other, so you can still simulate sunrise and sunset. Thats what I plan on doing anyways. Just trying to throw some ideas in your head.

In regards to the 30" tall tank, are you prepared to have to use those plastic reachers evertime something falls onto the sandbed? And to have to use a stool to even reach halfway down into the tank. If that's not an issue for you, then get that tank. If you're like me, and cringe at the thought of not being able to reach everything in the tank with my bare hands, then get the other one.

Super Glue to the rescue. :) jk. Thanks for the advice James. This new tank will take a year or two to build up, so I'm not in any rush at all. It's gonna be fun though searching for all the things that I want.

But still. Anyone around the Gaithersburg area that is willing to help out on Sunday? :)