powder blue tang chasing my hippo

SkiCurtis

:idea: 3 weeks ago my yellow tang died and it seems like ever since then my powder blue is always chasing my hippo into hidding all day. this is in my 240 dispaly tank with a a Naso,sailfin,2 clowns, 7 bule chromis,6 line wrasse,cleaner fish,fire fish,regal angel,white and black angel. no new fish have been added since 8 months or so and it was the huge yellow tang. any idea's

Curtis

40 views and no response. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Don't be sad................I'm tagging along in hopes of learning more about fish behavior as our yellow tang seems to delight in dominating our powder blue, who seems very docile and non-threatening. They were placed in the tank on the same day and are approximately the same size.

I can only assume that no one has responded because they are also at a loss..................

M

Edited by MLazar

i think the yellow tang kinda kept the peace by being the dominate fish....now since its gone the PB feels it needs to establish dominance. i'm guessing it should stop after a while.

i think the yellow tang kinda kept the peace by being the dominate fish....now since its gone the PB feels it needs to establish dominance. i'm guessing it should stop after a while.

Thanks Gary do you think it would be a good idea to get another yellow tang?

i think i will let some one else answer that... to me it seems like alot of tangs for a 240 because of the size. but i wouldn't discourage or approve cause there are some in here who have had success with alot of tangs in their tank..so i will let them answer.

If you have a place for it, think about moving the PB into a QT tank or something like that for a couple of weeks. That will give the other fish a chance to get settled and claim a spot as theirs. It would reset the environment.

PB's are notoriously snippy. They pretty much rule the tank. That in of itself isn't a problem IF they don't start chasing other fish for no reason.

Are you clipping in a sheet of seaweed, each and every day? It also might be trying to protect an algae patch because it's not getting enough to eat. That's just something else you could try.

If you have a place for it, think about moving the PB into a QT tank or something like that for a couple of weeks. That will give the other fish a chance to get settled and claim a spot as theirs. It would reset the environment.

PB's are notoriously snippy. They pretty much rule the tank. That in of itself isn't a problem IF they don't start chasing other fish for no reason.

Are you clipping in a sheet of seaweed, each and every day? It also might be trying to protect an algae patch because it's not getting enough to eat. That's just something else you could try.

maybe do two clips on each side of the tank to halp distract form each other.

I forget which book it was, but it recommended one great solution to Tang aggression is to add more Tangs. I believe the magic number was 5 or more. It does help spread out aggression. It worked for me back in my old 180gal. I had a Sohal, Naho, Blonde Naso, Hippo, and Blue Atlantic, and they all got along. I added the Sohal last, and was smaller than the others. I also had a spotted rabbitfish, which I kid you not, acted like the policeman of the tank. Whenever there was aggression between the other fish, it would start changing color and flaring its spikes. I know I've had conversations with other wamas members that described similar experiences from their rabbitfish.

Just don't put two rabbitfish in a tank. I have two 1 spots in our 450 and the one tries to chase the other one out of the tank.

I have a Powder blue, powder brown, hippo, yellow, purple, naso, and an achilles in the 450. The purple and yellow get into it once in a great while but other than that, they all take turns eating from the seaweed clip. I feed two whole sheets a day though and they're just finishing it off towards the evening. I think that is what keeps the aggression down to a minimum.

I have gone from feeding everyday of frozen mix of formula 1and 2 ,mysis,cyclpeze etc. to feeding every other day the past 3 months. I do not have one lick of alge in my tank so maybe i need to feed sheets everydAY?

maybe do two clips on each side of the tank to halp distract form each other.

thats a great idea. :idea:

Just don't put two rabbitfish in a tank. I have two 1 spots in our 450 and the one tries to chase the other one out of the tank.

I have a Powder blue, powder brown, hippo, yellow, purple, naso, and an achilles in the 450. The purple and yellow get into it once in a great while but other than that, they all take turns eating from the seaweed clip. I feed two whole sheets a day though and they're just finishing it off towards the evening. I think that is what keeps the aggression down to a minimum.

so I can add more tangs :lol2: .can i add a powder brown?

The powder blue beat up the powder brown for the first two weeks and I added them both at the same time. Neither of them bothered the other tangs and the other tangs pretty much ignored them. They acted like two kids.

I buy the bulk supply of Julian Sprungs Seaweed Select from marinedepot and there are something like 60 sheets per bag. Saves money that way. They get a sheet of green and a sheet of purple every morning. I don't know if that is what keeps the peace or it's the 10 foot long tank. I suspect it has more to do with the available food. They really don't have a reason to be fighting for space or to protect an area. There are plenty of sleeping spots for all of them too. I also only use one clip and everyone seems content with that.