Nitrate Problem

Mopar32985

Hey guys new here to the site. I am having some problems with my nitrate levels right now they are at about 60. My tank has been up and running for about 2 months now maybe a little less. Here are some specs.

Tank - 40 gallon breeder

Light - Hydrofarms 250 MH with XM 15,000k

Live rock - about 50 lbs

Filter - 20 long sump with 2 1/2 galloon refugium only been running for a week

If you need to know any other specs please let me know here are some pics

DSC_0658.jpg

DSC_0660.jpg

DSC_0661.jpg

DSC_0659.jpg

did u use ro/di water when u initially filled the tank?

Universal Nitrate solution: Skim more, add a fuge, feed less, no filter media or wet dry... none... zero.

In your case, give the fuge some time to do it's job. perhaps a few waterchanges if you want to speed up the reduction quickly. What kind of light is that? What is growing in the fuge? I'd suggest cheato. might even remove that media bag trapping waste, unless you are cleaning it every day.

Edited by Grav

Your tank is young still and there's not much live rock in it while your refugium is brand new. Your anaerobic bacteria has probably not had much of a chance to develop, although I'm not sure that there's a lot of places for it in your system. Also, you have a refugium it looks like, but is there anything in it? It has a light but I don't see algae. I also echo what Grav says.

Essentially, right now your tank has no nutrient export unless you're changing water. On the other hand, I would give the system time to mature a bit as well.

How often do you change water as well?

The simple way to fix nitrate problems especially with a new tank is water changes. Easy, cheap, guaranteed. Your corals seem to look pretty good, even those sps frags. I'd be surprised if your NO3 levels are really at 60ppm, which is over the threshold for many corals. What kit are you using?

To start off with thank you all very much for your quick response. I have a better light over my fug now im using an energy saver bulb which is at 5500k. I do not have cheato its one of the others that the lfs recommended. Sry cant remember the name. I tested the water one day after i got those sps, and im using API reef test kit. This is why im so worried i dont want to loose them.As for water changes im doing them about once a week. While i do this i clean out my sock in the sump. If you need anymore info that could help i would greatly appreciated it. Thanks again what a great community.

If you have caulerpa, I'd be wary of keeping that in your system. It can become quite a nuisance if it gets out of hand or goes sexual (essentially dies off releasing spores). Chaeto does not have the same problems as caulerpa and is easier to use and prune.

No i didnt, but i did test my water to see if it had a nitrate level but it was at zero

A big rule is never use tap water. If you absolutely have no other choice than at least put the tap water through a regular carbon filter. A plain old carbon water filter can get a lot of bad stuff out of the water. My tap water, Arlington/DC has many toxic chems at the highest levels allowed by the EPA including some radioactive chems.

Mopar,

A couple of observations and suggestions:

I hate to say it, but I think you added your fish too soon. As others have mentioned, the inputs into your tank (water impurities, food) have to either be processed by the inhabitants of your tank (anaerobic bacteria, for example, to remove nitrates) or exported from your tank (skimming, chemical filtration, water changes, etc.) A lot of the processing can be done in the tank itself, but it takes time to adjust.

So you have too many inputs, a tank that hasn't had the time to adjust to them, and not enough exports.

Here are my suggestions:

1) Inputs: Cut back on the feeding. Flake food is very concentrated, and generally contains a lot of phosphates (which may be indirectly contributing to your high nitrates). If you switch to mostly frozen or fresh seafood, it will be better for your fishes' health, and might help out with the nitrates.

2) Beef up your tank's processing power. I'd suggest a DSB in your refugium....great at processing nitrates (although, again, they take a while to adjust), and if you run into any problems in the future, easily removed. Definitely add some Chaeto if you can.

3) Exports: Not much to say, but make sure your skimmer is adjusted properly. You might also consider removing the filter sock...I've never used them, but have heard that they need to be cleaned much more often than weekly, or will contribute to nitrates.

HTH,

-R

I would not doubt at all that a ro/di system would def help. I am a plumber in Montgomory county and i know i would never use DC tap water there water is horrible. There has been multiple warrnings in the past about that it wasnt even completely safe to drink it. But thanks for the input and i till try to get a system to see if that helps.

(edited)

Mopar,

A couple of observations and suggestions:

I hate to say it, but I think you added your fish too soon. As others have mentioned, the inputs into your tank (water impurities, food) have to either be processed by the inhabitants of your tank (anaerobic bacteria, for example, to remove nitrates) or exported from your tank (skimming, chemical filtration, water changes, etc.) A lot of the processing can be done in the tank itself, but it takes time to adjust.

So you have too many inputs, a tank that hasn't had the time to adjust to them, and not enough exports.

Here are my suggestions:

1) Inputs: Cut back on the feeding. Flake food is very concentrated, and generally contains a lot of phosphates (which may be indirectly contributing to your high nitrates). If you switch to mostly frozen or fresh seafood, it will be better for your fishes' health, and might help out with the nitrates.

2) Beef up your tank's processing power. I'd suggest a DSB in your refugium....great at processing nitrates (although, again, they take a while to adjust), and if you run into any problems in the future, easily removed. Definitely add some Chaeto if you can.

3) Exports: Not much to say, but make sure your skimmer is adjusted properly. You might also consider removing the filter sock...I've never used them, but have heard that they need to be cleaned much more often than weekly, or will contribute to nitrates.

HTH,

-R

I would have to adgree with you i think i did add everything too early. As far as the food goes i will def try to switch to more frozen and fresh foods. I did just about a week ago added about a 2 inch live sand bed into my refugium and changed the bulb to a 5500k instead of the 2700k. Hopefully this will help in the fallowing weeks. The skimmer was skimmiming to thin so that is now adjusted properly.

How often would you guys reomend doing water changes. Also yesterday just added a pair of coral banded shrimp. Hopefully this might help so for the uneaten food. Thanks again to everyone for their help.

Edited by Mopar32985

I echo what everyone else has said, there are no other ways to lower your nitrates without spending quite a bit of money. A little off topic, but what is the other fish that you have, I see the clown, but whats the other one? It's not a juvenile emperor angle is it?

I echo what everyone else has said, there are no other ways to lower your nitrates without spending quite a bit of money. A little off topic, but what is the other fish that you have, I see the clown, but whats the other one? It's not a juvenile emperor angle is it?

Yes its a false percula also have a jaw fish, and a Map angel. Thanks for your input

I have just realized that one of my heaters in my sump popped, and could have been sitting in there for a long time rust was built up. Could this have caused my high nitrates