First try at manual settings

Mopar32985

New to the forums just joined today figured that i would post a few pics. Sry there not that good first time using manual settings.

DSC_0608.jpg

DSC_0609.jpg

Comment + or - please

Welcome to the club! There's a wealth of experience here, both in reefing in general and photography.

Your pics are pretty good for a first attempt, and I really like how you used a shallow depth of field to make the zoanthid frag stand out.

Our aquarium lights are generally too bright and too blue to make our cameras' automatic mode work quite right, and you'll probably get much better results by manually controlling your camera like you're doing.

While you're fiddling with your camera's settings, see if you can adjust the white balance to make the pics look less blue and more true-to-life.

Jon

Tank you for the warm welcome this seems to be a very nice community. Also thanks for the comment. I have a Nikon D40 and im a nood still trying to get a grasp on it. I will try your recommendations tomorrow.

I'll 2nd the good job on depth of field for the zoas. Looks like you're a little shallow in that dept for the ric. The back of the mushroom is out of focus. You can usually fix that by reducing your aperture to increase the depth of field. That will result in needing a longer shutter time to get proper exposure. You'll definitely need a tripod.

I like the color on the zoas, but the ric looks washed out with the actinic lighting. You may just be underexposed. Keep playing. I know Chris was talking about having an intro to aquarium photography class for club members. might want to drop him a PM - 143Gadgets

• 1 month later...

quick question what setting did you use to take the zoa picture?

stealing a look at his exif data, looks like

f/5.6

ISO 200

1/6 second exposure

@ 55mm

See i dont even know how you found that out. I really need to learn alot more

just right click and click on image properties. it works with the Opera browser at least...dunno about others.

:)

cool thanks for the info...now i want to try and take some pics as well.

What other lens would u recommand for the D40?

cool thanks for the info...now i want to try and take some pics as well.

What other lens would u recommand for the D40?

for fishey pics, my opinion is the sigma 105mm f/2.8 ex macro lens

or...if you wanna go more expensive the sigma 180mm f/3.5 macro lens