Help with ATI bulbs

jamesbuf

I'm going to order a 4 bulb T5 retro kit for my Mom's 90gal. I was set to go with UV lighting bulbs, but now I hear so many people being happy with their ATI bulbs, I figure its worth getting some additional advice. I'm ordering from reefgeek.com that has all the major bulbs in stock: Giessman, UV lighting, GE, and now ATI, so I have LOTS of options. I had done a bunch of reading a couple years ago when I had my old Aquatinics fixture, but with so many options now, I have no idea which bulbs are the best now. I figure the growth bulbs are all pretty much the same, but which Actinic bulbs are the best?

I'm looking for the 14K-20K look. I was going to go with two of the UV Super actinic, one Aqua blue 14K, and one 12K actinic white. Now after a search on here, I see people are liking the blue look from the ATI Blue Plus and/or True Actinic.

This new "Pro Color" bulb sounds pretty interesting. Its not recommended by itself, but in combination with other bulbs. Looks like its mainly for color. Has anyone used these before??? Its a softie tank, so coloration is more important than PAR ratings.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm going to order a 4 bulb T5 retro kit for my Mom's 90gal. I was set to go with UV lighting bulbs, but now I hear so many people being happy with their ATI bulbs, I figure its worth getting some additional advice. I'm ordering from reefgeek.com that has all the major bulbs in stock: Giessman, UV lighting, GE, and now ATI, so I have LOTS of options. I had done a bunch of reading a couple years ago when I had my old Aquatinics fixture, but with so many options now, I have no idea which bulbs are the best now. I figure the growth bulbs are all pretty much the same, but which Actinic bulbs are the best?

I'm looking for the 14K-20K look. I was going to go with two of the UV Super actinic, one Aqua blue 14K, and one 12K actinic white. Now after a search on here, I see people are liking the blue look from the ATI Blue Plus and/or True Actinic.

This new "Pro Color" bulb sounds pretty interesting. Its not recommended by itself, but in combination with other bulbs. Looks like its mainly for color. Has anyone used these before??? Its a softie tank, so coloration is more important than PAR ratings.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Got them all in stock.... the blue plus is Amazing!!!!!

I am running 2 of the ATI's 48" length Blue plus and they are really blue. I just installed them this week so really no report on how they are so far. I just added my frags back into the tank last night. I will try to get some pics of the lights on together but I am very happy with the ATI's as far as color goes.

ATI's

Got them all in stock.... the blue plus is Amazing!!!!!

Thanks again for saving some for me Sean, I haven't got a diatom outbreak yet :clap:

I am running 2 of the ATI's 48" length Blue plus and they are really blue. I just installed them this week so really no report on how they are so far. I just added my frags back into the tank last night. I will try to get some pics of the lights on together but I am very happy with the ATI's as far as color goes.

ATI's

Thanks again for saving some for me Sean, I haven't got a diatom outbreak yet :clap:

Looking good man. Hmmm, definitely leaning towards those now for actinic supplementation. I'm wondering what two of the Blue plus, one Pro color, with any 10K bulb would look like?? Wondering if it will even be enough PAR for softies??

That would be more than enough PAR imho. Here is a good recent thread on bulb selection:

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?show...c=23422&hl=

Yeah, I read through that one and several others like it. I know there are still many other T5 users on here who have yet to put their two cents in. I was hoping another thread might spark some more interest. Guess we'll see.

get the ATI blue plus, ATI aqua blue 12k, true actinic and the K figi purple.

Have you run these before??

The Grim Reefer over on RC suggested this:

Front:

ATI Blue Plus

UVL Super Actinic

UVL Aquasun

ATI Blue Plus (Or for a more white look ATI Aquablue

From what I've read, people shouldn't get the Purple bulb if you are running less that 5 total bulbs.

I'm leaning on going with what Grim is suggesting, but also order a Pro Color and a GE 6500K bulb. With the two aquablue and Superactinic, it should be pretty blue so I can see what difference I get with the one bulb getting switched out between the three different bulbs.

I have been running the ATI Blue Plus bulbs in my T5 setup for about two years. As far as color I don't really think there is a blue bulb out there that can stand up to them. I have tried a few and multiple combinations. Most of them just end up in the T5 corner my little version of a scrap pile that allows me to look a different combinations. I recently tried the Giesemann Aqua Blue Plus bulbs, their brand new bulb did not compare color wise to my 18 month old ATI bulbs. So after 2 days of use they were taken out. ATI Blue Plus are really that nice! I originally started off with a 6 blub T5 set up and went with the suggestion from Grim over at Reef Central. I am now down to 4 T5 bulbs and the only time I take out my Blue Plus is when I am in a growing out phase. I switched back to T12 for actinic bulbs. The T5s just don't cut it in my opinion for actinic. I tried atlest three different brands :( and none made the coral pop like the URI VHO Super Actinic Bulb . For more info on T5's or if you have a certain look you want just go to RC thread and ask Grim. T5 Thread on RC

Just my 2 cent :)

Thanks NightOwl. Reefgeek ended up not having the ATIs in stock, so I was forced to go with the Geissman Actnic plus.

Yeah, I did go to RC and asked Grim what would be the best 4 bulb combo. I posted it above. Looking forward to

jamesbuf,

Sean over at AQUACO has them (ATI) or had them :). With the right combo it does not end up looking too blue. I can tell you to save yourself some headache and just throw the Geissman away...lol. They have a pretty pacakage and thats about it :). When you get a ATI bulb and put in and compare you will see the difference quickly. The GE bulb is going to be really yellow but your corals will grow like they are on roids. It will also make certain colors pop that you will not see from the blue plus. Keep us posted on what think.

...I am now down to 4 T5 bulbs and the only time I take out my Blue Plus is when I am in a growing out phase....

NightOwl - What do you mean when you said you take it out for a "growing out phase"?

James - I'm running the following right now:

ATI Blue Plus

GE 6500k

Current 10K

Geiseman Actinic+

I've swapped the current 10k for the UVL 75/25, but color-wise I think the aqua blue bulb works better in there. I'm really happy with growth, and the color is nice- but not as nice as systems with more bulbs.

I'm actually thinking of just putting another ATI Blue Plus in that slot, since the blue bulbs seem to penetrate best and make the colors pop. Admittedly, there's not a lot of science in my testing here.

Jon

Right now I running 1 250W 14K Ushio with ATI blue plus, ATI 12k aqua blue, uvl super actinic and K figi purple. I love the look of my tank.

So I called back this morning and told them to hold off on the Geissman bulbs. They said they would ship those when they arrive in two weeks, at no additional shipping charges. I've got 1 UVL super actinic, 1 UVL aquasun, 1 GE 6500K, and one UVL 75/25 coming with the setup. That should look pretty good until the two Aqua Blues arrive. Its always good to have a couple extra bulbs laying around, and now I can experiment with the look of the tank. I've read such good things about the GE bulb for growth, I might go with that for a while to get some good growth. I figured the look should be offset by two aquablues and a superactinic on at the same time. Guess I'll find out.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice. I'll take pics of the different setups once I have them installed.

amos,

From time to time if pick up a some new corals and they are a bit on the small side I change my bulbs to make them grow faster :). During that time I am not concerned with the look of the tank but focused on growth. Depending on the growth I get I keep the blue plus out for a month or so then put them back in and watch things color back up. But that's just me.

James,

Make sure you acclimate carefully with the new bulbs, especially with a GE 6500 in the mix. That bulb is very cheap but puts out a lot of PAR and has been known to bleach corals if they are not acclimated correctly. Some people raise the fixture and lower it gradually over a two to four week period. Others shorten the light cycle at first. I prefer to use two layers of window screen, removing one every week or so.

James,

Make sure you acclimate carefully with the new bulbs, especially with a GE 6500 in the mix. That bulb is very cheap but puts out a lot of PAR and has been known to bleach corals if they are not acclimated correctly. Some people raise the fixture and lower it gradually over a two to four week period. Others shorten the light cycle at first. I prefer to use two layers of window screen, removing one every week or so.

Thanks for the tip Bob.