My First 75g Reef Tank

Vader

Well, It's finally happening, I'm draining the the 75 freshwater, scooping up the fishies and taking them to a local fish store. Pumps are in the mail, Tek lighting is in the mail. I feel the shakes allready....Wo Ho!! :bb:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so what are the plans? DSB? BB? lights? what are you looking to keep?

i might be able to lend you a spare aptasia or too :)

The sand bed is going to be around 3" and the lighting is going to be a TEK w/ 6 T5HO 54w lamps. I'm going to start off slow with adding live stock but I'll start off with some LPS and Zoos.

BB ??

Thank you for the offer, I still need to purchase my close loop pump and a RODI. Before I add any live sand & rock, I'm going to check the plumbing for flow through the close loop and the sump loop. When I'm satisfied with it, I'll then add the sand / rock.

The sand bed is going to be around 3" and the lighting is going to be a TEK w/ 6 T5HO 54w lamps. I'm going to start off slow with adding live stock but I'll start off with some LPS and Zoos.

BB ??

Thank you for the offer, I still need to purchase my close loop pump and a RODI. Before I add any live sand & rock, I'm going to check the plumbing for flow through the close loop and the sump loop. When I'm satisfied with it, I'll then add the sand / rock.

BB=Bare Bottom

I'm thinking of building a stand, I could cut an access door in the side to access the skimmer, but I could use additional room in the back of the tank for the bulkhead fittings and maybe another 4" above the skimmer.

gallery_2631516_410_547787.jpg

gallery_2631516_410_644898.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The stand is coming along but I ran out of material, so I'll have to wait till tomorrow. I'm hoping to have it painted and stained by next week.

gallery_2631516_394_172677.jpggallery_2631516_394_259846.jpggallery_2631516_394_115048.jpggallery_2631516_394_45747.jpggallery_2631516_394_507857.jpg

Just a heads up bro, your new sump is at my house.

The tank stand is almost completed, still need to get the doors, another coat of paint and stain it. But now it's Miller Time :drink:

gallery_2631516_394_218545.jpggallery_2631516_394_608573.jpggallery_2631516_394_186905.jpg:)

http://www.wamas.org/forums/uploads/1219614296/gallery_2631516_394_483364.jpg' alt='gallery_2631516_394_483364.jpg'>gallery_2631516_394_404934.jpggallery_2631516_394_157551.jpg

Looking very nice I started a 75 gallon about 3months ago. But are you sure you want a super deep sand bed? I used 75 pounds of sand which gave me about 1/2 inch bed and it seems to work very well. Also you looking to drill your own glass?

Looking very nice I started a 75 gallon about 3months ago. But are you sure you want a super deep sand bed? I used 75 pounds of sand which gave me about 1/2 inch bed and it seems to work very well. Also you looking to drill your own glass?

I've read and heard alot good things with having a deep sand bed and I am planning on drilling the tank. I never done it before, but I have seen many vids with people doing it.

Two things to consider, though things are looking great. I think honestly it's a mistake to close in the back of the stand, you have a lot more heat in a reef tank and trapping it in the stand it going to push temperatures up which will make keeping tank temps down a PITA. Secondly if you're making the doors make sure to leave out a center brace or stop for the doors, it will make moving things in and out of the stand so much easier (you may already be doing this)

Two things to consider, though things are looking great. I think honestly it's a mistake to close in the back of the stand, you have a lot more heat in a reef tank and trapping it in the stand it going to push temperatures up which will make keeping tank temps down a PITA. Secondly if you're making the doors make sure to leave out a center brace or stop for the doors, it will make moving things in and out of the stand so much easier (you may already be doing this)

You bring up a very good point that I hadn't concidered, Thanks for your observation and I will make some adjustments to the stand....and you're right about the center brace, that's one reason why I built this stand, my old stand had that brace and was making life difficult. :cheers:

Looks good. Who needs doors, it'll help the air flow!

It is hard to see the back but you may need a few holes for plumbing and power cords too :biggrin: jk

Heat is a big issue in the sump. I have a return pump, skimmer, refuge light and I have a fan over it to cool it. I replaced my end panels with peg board to allow more air flow.

It might be a little late for you but when I build mine I made a built in water catch, the bottom is water tight and is framed with 2X4s. I don't know how much water it holds but with a flood sensor in it, it has saved the floors a few times. Might be able to add something to it before you set everything up.

One thing I would have added to mine would be a small pull out table to put things on while working on/in the tank.

Update: Stained the stand and doors will be done by this week, The back has been opened up to allow the heat out and on the top, there are openings for the plumbing to/from the tank, Thanks for the input guys :cheers:

gallery_2631516_394_443039.jpg

gallery_2631516_394_374974.jpg

I just picked up some live rock and storing it in this tub while the tank is coming along. The salinity is 1.027 at 78 deg. I thought with the salinity a little high, I would kill all the badies, but when I look at the rock, there still things growing and moving. I was going to take a pic of this one thing, but when I came back with the camera, It had retracted back into the rock. I'll wait another day and see if he comes back and anbush him with the camera. This is so cool, I can't wait till this tank is ready to go.

With just the rock, I've cleaned out the skimmer twice now.

gallery_2631516_394_25996.jpg

Drilling the tank seems more scary then it is. I drilled both my 75's without a problem. Just use a lot of water and take it slow, let the bit do the work. What are you using for your closed loop?

BTW the stand looks great.

Chris

Drilling the tank seems more scary then it is. I drilled both my 75's without a problem. Just use a lot of water and take it slow, let the bit do the work. What are you using for your closed loop?

BTW the stand looks great.

Chris

Thanks Chris, For my close loop, I'm thinking of using a Pan World 50PX-X @1110 GPH or a 100PX-X @ 1270 GPH, but I haven't finished figuring the flow calc. with my plumbing. I also plan on using a Super Squirt - Compact and having two outlets at each end of the tank.

I am a bit nervous about drilling the tank, I need to get 4, 3/4" bulkhead fittings and then I'll be ready to drill. There will be 9 holes in the back, you can see by the pink dots where I'm thinking of drilling.

gallery_2631516_394_658056.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well...at last the stand is done. I'm happy with it considering it's my first piece of furniture that I ever made. Thanks for all the input you guys have added. I'm down to 2 major buys now, the close loop pump and the Ocean Motion thingy. I've also made some changes to where the drill points will be but I'm still considering some other options, but least I'm not rushing it.

Now I have to make some adjustments to my light hanger since everything is higher.

gallery_2631516_394_518198.jpg

gallery_2631516_394_532367.jpg

gallery_2631516_394_299702.jpg

I've also added several hermit crabs to keep the algae down while the rock waits in the garage for the tank to be done. Cute little bugger.

gallery_2631516_394_290212.jpg