Name that Zoa

Sikryd

(edited)

I picked up some Zoa's from a guy and forgot to get the names, and he didn't know them all either. I was wondering if you guys could help.

The far right should be Bam Bam's and the ones on the bright white plug should be Alien Eyes - Not sure about the others

Zoo4.jpg

Unknown

Zoos3a.jpg

The ones in the back left are white/grey centers

Zoos3b.jpg

Another shot of the same ones

Zoos6.jpg

The bigger ones in the foreground are pretty ugly - better in this picture though - Not sure how to get rid of them, maybe with kalk like aptasia I guess

Zoos7.jpg

Another pic of the Bam Bam / unknown

Zoos.jpg

His an updated picture of the Brain coral that is growing and doing great. This has been a blast to watch!

braincoral.jpg

Edited by Sikryd

No clue, but I have a few I don't know the names of. I think there aren't really names for every single variety (or at least that people use)

(edited)

In the 1st photo:

The ones to the far right = "Dragon Eyes"

White plug = "Watermelons"

Orange centered ones = "Reverse Gorilla Nipples"

Green centered ones (right above RGNs) = "Green Crossettes"

Edited by zoozilla

I found the Zoaid site.

Its doesn't have any like the peach ones I have. I guess they just come up with cool names for some of them.

In the 1st photo:

The ones to the far right = "Dragon Eyes"

White plug = "Watermelons"

Orange centered ones = "Reverse Gorilla Nipples"

Green centered ones (right above RGNs) = "Green Crossettes"

Reverse Gorilla Nipples??? :lol2:

Who comes up with these names??? :lol2:

I find it easier (and cheaper...) to refer to them as Zoanthus sp. and then identify the color(s) represented.

I stopped by the Great Ape house again just to double check - I still don't understand the "reverse gorilla nipple" coloration. Of course, we have Western Lowland gorillas; I've never seen a Mountain Gorilla's nipple. Perhaps there is something there...

If I get a chance to name a zoanthid in my lifetime, I'll name it "bright red baboon butt"

That is by far the single most disturbing characteristic of the old world monkeys that creeps me out the most... :eek:

gorilla%20pic1.jpg

You guys don't see the resemblance??

:biggrin:

Well now, to be fair - that is a female and juvenile. Perhaps there is something we're not seeing that resembles a male gorilla's "reverse nipple" - whatever that means - some sort of sexual dimorphism, as in a silver back. And, we still have not established which subspecies of gorilla it refers to. Are there geographic variances in differing populations...? Is that species of zoanthid, dubbed "Reverse Gorilla Nipple", an East African endemic? Hmmm.... this is interesting.

There just might be a thesis here yet...

someone shared this website with me a while ago: ZoaID.com! :: The definitive repository for named Zoanthids!

Maureen