Quarentine question...

FishWife

So, I have been a DIE HARD quarantiner from day one, and we've only ever had ich once, back at Christmas. Since then, I've been running a UV and no new fish have had ich after 4 solid weeks of QT.

I want to buy a pair of clownfish for my new nano, and don't have a QT tank since I sold all my stuff. We're putting a chiller on the nano (no kidding; it's necessary 'cause of our house temp fluctuations) and Scott's going to rig our UV inline with the chiller, since we still have it. So... should I...

1. Get a 10g tank for QT when I pick up the clownfishies? (I need one as a fuge/copepod breeder anyways, eventually.) IF so, how do I hold that little tank stable for 4 weeks... a couple of pieces of LR and a heater, I guess? (LOL. I still have my Excelsior hob skimmer. How funny to put that on, too!?)

2. Never mind QT: the chances for ich are low...? Just put the clownfish directly into the nano with beloved midas blenny and hope for the best? :why:

What do other nano tank users do about QT? I've enjoyed a large deluxe system for QT up until now and never had to worry about it before. This brand new microworld has me stumped! :wig:

Get them from a place that already does the QT, like BRK or Aqua Co.

Yeah... well, even BRK (an hour's drive) has ich from time to time. They run copper because of that, says Johnny. With fish in and fish out, it's bound to break out even in the best of stores, imho.

Where's Aqua Co.?

James beat me to it - I was going to ask where you planned to get them. I have used 10g QTs for up to 5 weeks before no problem, but that was with water from my tank.

James beat me to it - I was going to ask where you planned to get them. I have used 10g QTs for up to 5 weeks before no problem, but that was with water from my tank.

I've had good luck at Congressional... so I was thinking there...

The Aquarium Co. (11411 F Sunset Hills Road Reston, Virginia 20190) quarentines all of there fish and have had all healthy specimens that i have seen so far when i go there, that would be my first choice to get any fish.

-Connor

Aqua company has an AMAZING quarantine system! If you go there and then get clownfish that have ick..... I don't kno what I'd do :why:, but I would be VERY surprised.