Civitan Eric Hanson's 75G

Hi everyone.

I want to thank everyone for all the advice provided over the last two months. I bought Bethesda Jim's 75G tank with everything in it including fish and coral back at the beginning of May. I am going to use this thread to a) share pics, b) catalog information that I find useful and c) determine what corals I have and then link to information on them... I do knowledge management for a living, so I figure I ought to do it here.

First here is the full tank shot, its already OBE since I approach reefing like I approach gardening and that involves a little bit of tinkering every few days.

DSC_0026.JPG

I will modify this primary post as I organize everything.

Pics of two new clams from the Mr. Coral Social:

clam1.JPG

clam2.JPG

lookin' good! That is a really deep sand bed. You should work on putting some pvc pipes through there and then getting some sort of eel. Blue ribbon eels are pretty cool, and from what I've heard, you won't have the problem of it bothering (eating) the fish as much as in other eels, on the other hand, it is considered one of the hardest "fish" to keep as it is hard to feed. Just a suggestion :why:.

either way, it looks great, but you should get something to take advantage of the DSB. Sand sifting gobies are really cool as well....

Thanks Sam.

I am at my limit on fish right now - although I have a yellow tang that is MIA right now - can anyone tell me how a Tang goes MIA?

Any way, I am not a big fan of eels, a goby might be cool in the future.

Have a great weekend,

Eric.

I am at my limit on fish right now - although I have a yellow tang that is MIA right now - can anyone tell me how a Tang goes MIA?

Eric,

The places I would check are hiding behind some rock, in the overflow or in the sump, on the top brace of the tank, on the floor, and eaten. The most likely onces are behind some rock and eaten. I'm always amazed by how fish can hide in a reef I think I know well, and by how quickly critters are eaten and their crunchy parts scattered once they die. Hope you find your tang alive.

Jon

Eric,

The places I would check are hiding behind some rock, in the overflow or in the sump, on the top brace of the tank, on the floor, and eaten. The most likely onces are behind some rock and eaten. I'm always amazed by how fish can hide in a reef I think I know well, and by how quickly critters are eaten and their crunchy parts scattered once they die. Hope you find your tang alive.

Jon

I have egg crate and its unlikely he slipped in the sump which leaves hiding or in the rock work. I am starting to wonder if my two green tipped anemones might of grabbed him - is that even possible?

I am beginning to think that by Hermit Crabs and my Brown tag have formed a mafia. I bought a nice 2 inch shrimp last week and it was in thet ank an entire half hour before a crab jumped it and did it in - shocking really.

Thanks,

eric.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you ever find the tang? Clean up crews do their jobs really well if it died... it's rare that I actually find bodies, but when I do it's typically because the body is on the floor or stuck to the feed for a pump...

I would avoid adding anything to your sand bed, it's a deep sand bed and sand sifting gobies would possibly turn it over and dig into the anaerobic portion, creating a problem for your water chemistry.

Also, I know you don't want eels, but figured I would touch on the ribbon eels - never a good buy. They almost never start eating and almost always die quickly. I dont' know of a single success story with these guys and places are responding by not bringing them in as often because hobbyists don't ask for them.