Waikiki Aquarium

dshnarw

These are all shots from the Waikiki aquarium from a month ago or so. Awesome place...mostly small exhibits, and very cheap entrance fee. Especially when you consider the rarity of some of their livestock, and the size of their two HUGE clams

clown/nem...

waikiki_aquarium04.jpg

biggest two clams I've ever seen (for scale, that Anthias at dead center is full grown...4" or so and swimming directly over the front clam in the pic):

waikiki_aquarium05.jpg

HUGE pencil urchin:

waikiki_aquarium11.jpg

goby:

waikiki_aquarium07.jpg

one sitting still, one moving:

waikiki_aquarium08.jpg

baby...only 1.5" long:

waikiki_aquarium19.jpg

that looks like one mean dorsal fin:

waikiki_aquarium06.jpg

up close and personal with the puffer:

waikiki_aquarium22.jpg

sun corals:

waikiki_aquarium17.jpg

waikiki_aquarium16.jpg

and the jellies:

waikiki_aquarium15.jpg

waikiki_aquarium14.jpg

waikiki_aquarium13.jpg

waikiki_aquarium12.jpg

(edited)

I have to ask if you are a professional photographer as so many of your photos are exceptional. The bottom picture of the jelly fish belongs in a magazine. Or on a poster................ wow, just beautiful.

Okay, after a 2nd look, more than just the bottom photo is worthy of publication.

Edited by MLazar

I have to ask if you are a professional photographer as so many of your photos are exceptional. The bottom picture of the jelly fish belongs in a magazine. Or on a poster................ wow, just beautiful.

Okay, after a 2nd look, more than just the bottom photo is worthy of publication.

:wig: wow...thanks!!

I'm actually a geology grad student...photography is just one of my many hobbies that distract me from getting any work done :)

I really only picked up photography early this year to make my tank threads more interesting.

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I could afford to get out there, the photos are great. The sun coral look fantastic what kind of lighting were they under?

I wish I could afford to get out there, the photos are great. The sun coral look fantastic what kind of lighting were they under?

Thanks. The sun corals were under just a PC setup, all actinics. Very cool setup.

Hawaii is pretty expensive to get out there, but it's worth the trip if you can save up the money. Most expensive part is the plane...after that, there's all sorts of hostels and campgrounds to make it cheaper (or free). Local food is about as expensive as it is here, and it's always free to sit on the beach or snorkel, which is really the best part of Hawaii.

• 4 years later...

just visited yesturday and have to say it was an awsome experience. i dont know how you got those great shots because the light shimmers made it impossible for me to get decent shots. here is a shot of my favorite tank, well second to the coral farm tank. j1_zps68602199.jpg

I really love that place...

Very cool things being done and a fish/coral geek's historical gold mine.

the tank temp is around 72-73 degrees and they use natural sunlight to grow sps. kind of make me want to set up a reef pond in my backyard haha.

just visited yesturday and have to say it was an awsome experience.

Jim -

While you're stationed there you should make sure to go to the Oceanarium Restaurant on Waikiki (Pacific Beach Hotel). The centerpiece of the restaurant is a 280,000-gallon tank full of native Hawaiian fish of all kinds. Do the lunch buffet; it's a good bit less expensive than dinner, and to me just as good.