Need help with my Nikon Coolpix.

I was wondering if someone else knows any particular setting I can use on my Nikon Coolpix 950 to get focused pictures? I know the coolpix is not the best camera for marine photography, but I would think I could get some focused pictures with it. :(

• 2 weeks later...
I was never able to get good tank pics with my Nikon Coolpix 990. :why:

So prey-tell, what kind of camera do you have now?

Robbie (Robzid) is great with Nikon Point and Shoots. Send him a pm.

I'll shoot him a PM. Many thanks. When I bought my camera, I think I paid about $900 for it. Of course, that was a long time ago. I think I need to save up & get one of the nice Nikons now. :biggrin:

I'm using a cheap point and shoot pocket camera now and while the pics are nowhere near the quality of some of the ones I see on the forums, they are much better than the ancient Coolpix 990!

I'm using a cheap point and shoot pocket camera now and while the pics are nowhere near the quality of some of the ones I see on the forums, they are much better than the ancient Coolpix 990!

It doesn't seem to matter anymore what you buy, it will be a dinosaur in three years. :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...

Did you get an answer on this? I have the same problem with my Nikon 950. I use macro mode, a tripod, and shoot stationary targets, and 9 of 10 pics are still blurry. I've even tried manual focus, and although the pic in the viewfinder is in focus, it goes out of focus when I take the picture. I'm not bumping the camera when I depress the shutter button, and I'm not using long exposure times. I've experimented with different aperature sizes, hoping that a large depth of field will make it easier to focus, but it doesn't seem to matter.

The camera works great otherwise, and I don't think there's anything mechanically wrong with it. It's much more likely I'm not using it correctly, so I'm looking for advice from more experienced reefers.

Jon

This thread brings back memories for me. The Coolpix 950 is a great camera. I would still use mine today if the focusing motor wasn't broken. I can't remember the tricks for macro mode, but I know I got better macro shots with that camera than any of the others I have used since then (except the one I have now). So it is possible to get good ones.

Most of these are taken at f/2.5 to f/3.7, 1/7 to 1/30 shutter, 9 to 17mm focal length.

Here are some macro pics circa 1998/99 taken with my nikon 950:

DSCN0021.jpg

DSCN0098.jpg

DSCN0134.jpg

DSCN0159.jpg

DSCN0378.jpg

DSCN0948.jpg

DSCN0990.jpg

My Canon S1 takes pretty good pics, but I have to use the "action" setting and if possible put the camera right up to the glass to get a nice close up. Also, I turn off the flash unless absolutely necessary. For me, it helps to point the camera down a bit as light from my MH will spill into the lense causing an over-exposed image or the camera to not focus correctly.