'Slosh-less' storage container?

MisterTang

I've got some trusty plastic storage containers that I use for everything - emergency QT, collecting RO water, curing rock - you name it. My only beef with them is that the lids don't hold water back very well. When I first got started in the hobby, I obtained some live sand, and water, but about 35-40% of the water sloshed out of my container and into my trunk on the drive home.

I'm going to be buying a significant amount of cured live rock in the near future, and I really want to avoid this; not only was it annoying to clean up, but I want to minimize air exposure/die-off. Can anyone recommend a tub that has worked well for transporting water?

(edited)

Have you tried putting a trash bag onto the surface of the water and then taping the edges down? I then add a little weight on top of the outside to help stabilze/break the water surface. I used to transport my RO/DI water this way. HTH

Edited by hbh

Or you could use old salt containers or rubber made or anything with a good lid.. if you can't afford a lid completly seal the buckets with a 55 gallon trash bag! That way the water ends up in the bag and not in the car!

Get a trash bag that is the same size as or bigger than the container. For example, if you have a 30G brute trash can, get a 30G Glad plastic bag like normal people would use for a trash can.

Put the trash bag in the trash can. Pour your water in, including whatever else- rocks, animals, etc. Close the trash bag up and tie a knot. The trash bag is your vessel, the can is just there for structural support and to prevent holes.

I do this all the time with coolers, trash cans, heck you can even make a duffel bag into a water container if you wanted...

Lowes sells 5g buckets with graduated markings on the side. They also sell lids for these buckets and they are water tight.

IRT to the suggestion to use trash bags, be careful which ones you use. Some are impregnated with or leech chemicals that may be bad for your tank.

5g buckets *seem* to be too small to carry 75 pounds of live rock in one trip, which is why I was hoping to do it with my RubberMaid containers.

IRT to the suggestion to use trash bags, be careful which ones you use. Some are impregnated with or leech chemicals that may be bad for your tank.

Any ideas on which brands have this problem?

Have you tried putting a trash bag onto the surface of the water and then taping the edges down? I then add a little weight on top of the outside to help stabilze/break the water surface. I used to transport my RO/DI water this way.

This sounds interesting. Do you stretch the bag taut, or leave it loose?

Or you could use old salt containers or rubber made or anything with a good lid..

:) Like everyone else, I buy the bulk boxes, even though I just (currently) have a 10g.

Get a trash bag that is the same size as or bigger than the container.

This will be my backup plan, as I don't really have a use for more than one of these bags :why:

Thanks everyone! It's nice to have some experienced feedback. I hate driving with water and used 5g buckets in the past when I was buying RODI water (sheesh), and even THOSE would leak a little sometimes. I think this hobby has made me certifiably insane, simply because there's no sane reason to transport 75 pounds of wet smelly rock in a Civic Hybrid.

5g buckets *seem* to be too small to carry 75 pounds of live rock in one trip, which is why I was hoping to do it with my RubberMaid containers.

Any ideas on which brands have this problem?

This sounds interesting. Do you stretch the bag taut, or leave it loose?

:) Like everyone else, I buy the bulk boxes, even though I just (currently) have a 10g.

This will be my backup plan, as I don't really have a use for more than one of these bags :why:

Thanks everyone! It's nice to have some experienced feedback. I hate driving with water and used 5g buckets in the past when I was buying RODI water (sheesh), and even THOSE would leak a little sometimes. I think this hobby has made me certifiably insane, simply because there's no sane reason to transport 75 pounds of wet smelly rock in a Civic Hybrid.

Rock?? ROCK??? You don't need 50 gallons of water to transport rock. Put it in the bucket - cover it with newspaper, soak down the newspaper, and you're good for an hour.

bob

Rock?? ROCK??? You don't need 50 gallons of water to transport rock. Put it in the bucket - cover it with newspaper, soak down the newspaper, and you're good for an hour.

bob

Bob,

Unfortunately, I'll probably end up driving slightly over an hour. I really want to minimize die-off, because stinky tank = unhappy family.