my first DSLR tank pics

ctenophore

I got Chris's (153gadgets) old D200. Here are some pics from it. I have a lot to learn. These are all pretty dark because I was playing around with manually increasing shutter speed in an attempt to get rid of motion blur from the moving corals (I did not turn off flow pumps for these). I was also playing around with white balance, and finally seem to have gotten that right.

JMC_0127.jpg

JMC_0128.jpg

JMC_0129.jpg

JMC_0132.jpg

JMC_0133.jpg

JMC_0134.jpg

JMC_0136.jpg

JMC_0138.jpg

JMC_0139.jpg

JMC_0140.jpg

JMC_0150.jpg

JMC_0151.jpg

These were taken with a sigma 24-70 f/2.8 that is on loan from Chris. I think he said it sells for around $500. Nikon makes the same lens but much higher quality build for $1700.

I just got my first two new lenses yesterday, a 50mm f/1.8 (Nikon's version of the "Plastic Fantastic", $115) and a 55-200 for outdoor kid pics ($215)

Looks good Justin! You should definitely cut off the pumps and lower the shutter speed. you'll have much more light.

A few fish pics. I got this banggai from Jack (jhn) the other day. Easy fish to photograph because they don't move much:

JMC_0188.jpg

This one was a lot more challenging. Anyone who has a cleaner wrasse knows these things never stop moving:

JMC_0180.jpg

A few fish pics. I got this banggai from Jack (jhn) the other day. Easy fish to photograph because they don't move much:

JMC_0188.jpg

I'm glad this guy found a new home. That was one of the largest banggai cardinals I've ever seen. What an upgrade for that guy!! From an 60gal hex to a 500gal monster. Its gotta be loving life.

That's the small one from the back room. The big one just got put in last night and so far they hang out together with no signs of hostility. Maybe there will be baby banggais to deal with??

Oh, speaking of large banggais, one of my friends back in FL mentioned that his biggest banggai died the other day, possibly of old age. It was 6" nose to tip of tail, and about 1/2" thick. He had it for 6-7 years I believe, and it spawned many times while in his care.