The Economy and our Hobby

sen5241b

Back to the original topic.

For those of you who remember Marine Care in Rockville, remember in the summer they sold bait in the back. Always thought that was funny in an aquarium store, but it helped them get through the down season (which summer always is for an LFS).

Back to the original topic.

For those of you who remember Marine Care in Rockville, remember in the summer they sold bait in the back. Always thought that was funny in an aquarium store, but it helped them get through the down season (which summer always is for an LFS).

Actually it kind of makes sense to me. We feed our critters in our tanks what is essentially bait, so I see no reason for aquarium stores to not market "fish food" in a way that people can use it to go fishing.

Go to BRK on a Thursday, in June... you cam't find parking!!! Of course, it is mostly those people with the big goldfish.

Summer is always slower for LFSs. Don't get all doom and gloom on me.

Bait stores are becoming thing of the past I wish we had more fish stores that sold bait:) Minnows are getting harder and harder to come by anyway I hope everyone has a safe and fun aqurium summer I know I will...

i wonder if trains will make a comeback. dont they use giant generators on those things now?

I bus and Metro in to work everyday. Along my route are two park and ride lots, a Slug stop and Greyhound stop. Since I started on the bus there have been the usual 4-5 usual suspects every morning. (I often wondered how they kept this route open with such little ridership.) Over the past month number seems to grow every week. The slug line grows by the day, most days its 15-20 people deep. And the number of folks at the greyhound station has also increased. I am sure some of the numbers can be attributed to just normal summer vacation but I think it is more the gas prices.

I think trains and busses will see an increase in ridership due to the increased cost to travel by car, not mention the airlines charging for EVERYTHING to help offset fuel costs.

Ron

...it was just a comment on the local government's reaction to a recent downward adjustment in housing values as compared to the percieved devastation of gas prices.

So was mine. I love the area geographically, and distance-wise, it's not too far to Reston where I work. My neighbors are great, I don't have to constantly worry if all my windows/doors are locked, and it's relatively close to two major airports.

That being said, I hate, Hate, HATE the government here, and in Virginia in general. They have demonstrated a chronic inability to be good stewards of tax money, plan intelligently for growth, or take any real responsibility for the problems of the working commuters who keep the county solvent. As a result, we have one of the lowest-rated commuting routes (Rte. 7), whose only alternative is a grossly overpriced toll road. Instead of intelligently planning roads, they put up another stoplight that snarls traffic for miles - the prevailing philosophy appearing to be that fifty or seventy five cars should wait at a signal during rush hour for those precious seven or eight in the newer developments (Belmont Ridge Road, anyone?). All I hear is that Loudoun is growing too quickly, but what I don't get is what they're squandering the boon in taxes on - shouldn't that be growing at or about the same rate?

Ultimately, I do like Loudoun over previous places we've lived - Arlington, Annandale, and Manassas. If we could elect some people who could trim some of the fat in local government spending, and then fix our wretched road situation, I'd have no complaints at all :rollface:

</rant>

Bait stores are becoming thing of the past I wish we had more fish stores that sold bait:) Minnows are getting harder and harder to come by anyway I hope everyone has a safe and fun aqurium summer I know I will...

Bait shops of old are now called "PetCo" :)

Bait shops of old are now called "PetCo" :)

Feeder goldfish - can those be used for bait? No difference between feeding them to a pet and feeding them to something you are going to eat, is there?

Feeder goldfish - can those be used for bait? No difference between feeding them to a pet and feeding them to something you are going to eat, is there?

Depends on what you're catching. I'd used one or two in the past in lieu of minnows for crawdad hunting when I was a kid.