Sump idea what do you guys think?

m3fan8ic

I am setting up sump in my basement for my 144gl half circle tank. I have 75gl and 40gl tanks that I am thinking about using as sump. I am thinking that I should use 75gl for drain which will hold my skimmer and fuge, and 40gls for return which will just have return pump and just fresh water ready to pump back up to the tank. I am reading up on http://www.melevsreef.com/ sump design and still don't know how I should go about designing this sump using two tanks. Sorry I didn't draw up anything to post but any suggestions would be appreciated?

Thanks

Sid

Not sure if it would work but if your going to use 2 tanks I would "T" off the drain and have one side go to each tank. One tank would hold your skimmer, UV, Kalk and such item. The other tank would be your fuge. Each tank would have a return pump to the main tank. That way you could use each tank for a different purpose and wouldn't have to worry about remove helpful things from each tank.

(edited)

I might look into that.. but my concern is that I have only two hoses coming down to the basement from the top floor, one drain and one return. Maybe I'll just use 75gl to keep it simple and less complicated.

Edited by m3fan8ic

Pretty certain it won't work to split your overflow drain into two parts and use two different return pumps. You'll never get the drain rates balanced exactly right, and you'll end up with most of your sump water in one sump, and the other return pump sucking air.

I would look at creating one or more large diameter interconnect between the two sumps with bulkheads and very little connecting pipe. A couple of 2" or 2-1/2" bulkheads will pass a lot of water between the two sumps and keep them equalized, especially if the sumps are very close together.

Jon

I might look into that.. but my concern is that I have only two hoses coming down to the basement from the top floor, one drain and one return. Maybe I'll just use 75gl to keep it simple and less complicated.

I agree with Jon. You will have a rough time getting the two balanced as one will always be the hog and you may end up with an overflow.

I would use both tanks joined together with one for the refugium and the other as the skimmer and or equipment item tank. I also like to have the return pump external as it helps to keep some heat out of the tank.

I agree I would conect two sumps with one pump and keep the refuguim seprate GRASS is an awseome clogging agent!

Thaks for your suggestions guys.. I would actually drill holes to join them togather but since they are glass I just don't want to go through the hassle of drilling. Also the situation I have now is that 75gl is being currently used and 40gl will be setup initially then transition into 75gl once move all LS from there to new 144gl.

I will be using Mag12 as external to sump for retun.