Air stone power for storms

flowerseller

one idea can be just to make an air lift with the battery operated air pumps...make a long L with pvc and put the airstone in the bend in will cause water from on end of the L to travel threw the pipe and come out the other end....kinda like an under gravel without it being under the gravel and it does a good job at moving water

Ok folks. Its time for us to look into the wayback machine a bit here. Sometimes we get all carried away with our fancy gadgets and forget some of the old school tricks of the trade.

So you have a power outage. You need 2 things for life support, air and circulation. Why not go with an old school air lift tube. You know, like the one you used to run that undergravel filter on your guppy tank when you were a kid. The physics still work. You get circulation and aireation at the same time.

Here is a brief explanation, you bubble air at the bottom of the tube, the rising bubbles create a low pressure area at the bottom of the tube and literally pull water up with them. You bring water from the bottom of the tank up to the top, thus turning over the water in the tank and aerating it at the same time.

For those of you who don't know what a lift tube is, I created a simple sketch in Paint (keeping with the old school theme).

lifttube.jpg

good illistrasion...my idea is just a mod of this....

"want a new idea read an old book" so i've heard....

Ok folks. Its time for us to look into the wayback machine a bit here. Sometimes we get all carried away with our fancy gadgets and forget some of the old school tricks of the trade.

So you have a power outage. You need 2 things for life support, air and circulation. Why not go with an old school air lift tube. You know, like the one you used to run that undergravel filter on your guppy tank when you were a kid. The physics still work. You get circulation and aireation at the same time.

Here is a brief explanation, you bubble air at the bottom of the tube, the rising bubbles create a low pressure area at the bottom of the tube and literally pull water up with them. You bring water from the bottom of the tank up to the top, thus turning over the water in the tank and aerating it at the same time.

For those of you who don't know what a lift tube is, I created a simple sketch in Paint (keeping with the old school theme).

lifttube.jpg

This is a nice cheap backup except I would put a 90 elbo on the top and rigid airline thru a hole in the elbo. That way it would pull water from the bottom and shoot it across the surface rather than gurgling at one spot.

This is a nice cheap backup except I would put a 90 elbo on the top and rigid airline thru a hole in the elbo. That way it would pull water from the bottom and shoot it across the surface rather than gurgling at one spot.

Yes a 90 at the top is a good idea. I was just trying to illustrate the concept. Sometimes old school is a good thing to remember.