Sell it, or tough it out with some losses??????

amay121

Steve,

Adding more livestock will help combat the issue, not fix it. I'm not looking for a way to just get some other animals to keep things in check, I want to fix the issue first, then keep a crew to keep any new outbreaks in check.

(edited)

ctenophore,

Using IO salt.

I wouldn't mind doing a 50% water change, but if I do that, I might as well take all the rock out and scrub them down once more, which I'm thinking about doing once I get my RO unit in house today.

Everyone,

Thanks for all the info, I'll probably tough it out and I guess if things don't go well, I'll just either sell or ask someone to host for me. :)

Edited by amay121

I've found a useful technique for manual removal of HA during a water change. I use a 1/2" ID vinyl hose to siphon water out of the tank. While this is happening, I put the sucking end of the hose near the HA I want to remove, which draws the HA partially into the tubing from the suction. Then I clamp my thumb over the end of the tubing, pinching the HA. Then I pull my whole hand away from the rock where the HA is attached, and release my thumb. The siphon carries all the HA into the water change bucket. Repeat until the water change is done. Almost none of the HA gets loose in the tank this way, unlike the mess that in-tank scrubbing makes. You can remove a tons of HA this way.

Manual removal is only one part of the overall solution though...you'll still have to use some of the various techniques for improving water quality that others have offered above. But removing the HA this way will greatly speed the process.

Good luck,

Jon

Cent,

I'm thinking about moving the 6line to my BC8. It's been fallow of fish for 3 months now and the pods are everywhere...

Steve,

Adding more livestock will help combat the issue, not fix it. I'm not looking for a way to just get some other animals to keep things in check, I want to fix the issue first, then keep a crew to keep any new outbreaks in check.

Understand, but they will also help combat it in the future. Based on my experience the hermits and snails won't go hungry as long as you keep feeding the fish. I agree that you need to address the root of the problem but this could help you clear out the tank short term, and will continue to be a good addition long term. Just my opinion.

Guy, just stick with it - where there is a will there is a way, otherwise I'd have given up already myself.

As to softies being an upgrade, they are if you look at it from the standpoint of having something beautiful and thriving in your tank with minimal worries, or if a you're new to corals, or if aquisition of sps-suitable equipment is a problem, or perhaps some other circumstance. When it comes to my nano, getting a new softie is an upgrade because the tank can't support sps, but at home I would consider having it as a softie tank a downgrade (just gotta stop the bad transport, poor placement, poor attatchment, and poor tankmate choice).

I think Dave said it already, but your tank is very young. Every tank has to go through its phases in order to balance itself out. Heck, my tank went through its cyano and a very brief hair algae problem (only where the light was filtered a tiny bit in about a 6" square area, though) when I finally got it all put together because the filter had to set itself up again. The rock had already been curing for over a year in one of the sumps but the simple act of moving it 2' from the sump to the newly connected tank caused the problem. Also, my refugium macro is finally growing like mad, but it took it a good 6 months to settle in and establish itself, again, had been in the system for a year.

I have a 265 gal. reef and fish. I had a problem with algae and i tried everything from more water changes, different types of media and so on. I started using Pura Complete and it's all gone. All my water parameters were good before i started using it, I didnt know what was causing the algae. What ever it was the Pura Complete has taken care of it. Hope all turns out well.

WOW somebody has 100 snail/crabs in a 90....this is the perfect amount of cleaners for a problem tank....I HAVE tryed to explain to people for years that they dont have enough cleaners....1 per gall for clean tanks ...2 per gall for problems....thanks steveoutlaw for giving the correct answer for this simple problem which causes so many people to quit this hobby....wow somebody gets it :cheers: