Chris' Mixed Reef

I am back to the hobby after more than a year break. Although i was successful keeping a 75g mixed reef before, there were too many things I wished I could redo. Now is my chance to start over again and i need to make sure i make it right. I am one of very few Wamasers who down graded, and here it is a new 60g cube. The tank is being cycled and there is much more things that will need to be done. Here are couple pictures that I took today, and I thought I would want to share with the community.

DSCN0879.JPG

DSCN0886.JPG

DSCN0888.JPG

Chris

Sweet! Welcome Back... I have some of your old corals you sold me if you want frags...

Thanks for the offer. It will be at least another month before i can introduce the first sps to the tank.

Cool -- welcome back. I always like to form factor of a cube, especially when you can see from at least three sides. My dream tank is a 4 foot cube (well, only 2 ft tall), in the middle of a dedicate room with a center island that conceals the overflow. Ah, we can all dream, eh? Anyway, the 60g looks really nice -- looking forward to more pics!

Matt

how in the world did you get the rock like that on the left-hand side? it looks like it's floating, that's awesome.

(edited)

I have removed about 15 lbs of rocks to give more open look to the tank. I hope my ATI Master Bubble 200 skimmer could handle the rest of the filtration.

Before/Now

DSCN0882.JPG DSCN0926.JPG

Front View

DSCN0897.JPG

Left Side View

DSCN0900.JPG

Right Side View

DSCN0901.JPG

I have removed about 15 lbs of rocks to give more open look to the tank. I hope my ATI Master Bubble 200 skimmer could handle the rest of the filtration.

Chris

Edited by ChrisTran

I really liked the suspended rocks on the first setup. Curious to know why you took most of them off? I agree the bottom rocks looked a little jumbled and needed to be opended up.

I really liked the suspended rocks on the first setup. Curious to know why you took most of them off? I agree the bottom rocks looked a little jumbled and needed to be opended up.

I have 2 Tunze 6055 in the tank. I was concerned that the suspended rocks will get splash off by the Tunzes, so I decided to removed some of them. I also cleaned out some of the rocks at the bottom to make room for fish.

While waiting for my tank to go through a nitrite cycle, I am planning on my live stock, and I have some questions regarding the fish below.

I would like to keep one of the reef safe wrasses, but they are known as jumpers and my tank is open top. Is anyone keeping any wrasses in a open top tank?

Yellow-head jawfish is another jumper. Since it likes to build a burrow at the bottom of the tank and my tank is 2 feet tall, how likely do you think this fish will jump out of the tank?

The third fish that I would like to add to the tank is a clown goby. I like its bright yellow, but some online research says that it may nip at sps polyps. Does anyone have any experience keeping this fish?

Bartlett

I have 2 Tunze 6055 in the tank. I was concerned that the suspended rocks will get splash off by the Tunzes, so I decided to removed some of them. I also cleaned out some of the rocks at the bottom to make room for fish.

While waiting for my tank to go through a nitrite cycle, I am planning on my live stock, and I have some questions regarding the fish below.

I would like to keep one of the reef safe wrasses, but they are known as jumpers and my tank is open top. Is anyone keeping any wrasses in a open top tank?

Yellow-head jawfish is another jumper. Since it likes to build a burrow at the bottom of the tank and my tank is 2 feet tall, how likely do you think this fish will jump out of the tank?

The third fish that I would like to add to the tank is a clown goby. I like its bright yellow, but some online research says that it may nip at sps polyps. Does anyone have any experience keeping this fish?

Bartlett

• 1 month later...

The tank is almost 3 months now and here is some update pictures of my LPSs.

Scolymias

BigScoly120080627.JPG SmallScoly200806.JPG

My most favorite Scolymia from Bendalat

MultiColorScoly20080627.JPG

Acans

RainbowAcan20080620.JPG

HulkAcan20080620.JPG

RedAcan20080620.JPG

CandyCane and Frogspawn

DSC00038.JPG

Frogspawn20080620.JPG

SPSs and other animals will be uploaded later.

As of now I have a pair of true percs, a midas blenny, a cleaner wrasse, and a shrimp goby. My tank is a 60g rimless cube, and I would like to add couple more fish. I am looking for fish that won

Nice tank!

re fish: If the rockscape still looks like that, a small group of cardinals would look awesome under those ledges.

• 5 months later...

WOW....That really came out looking great. I'm new to this hobby and would love to have my tank look like yours in 6 months, what are you dosing and what products are you using?

WOW....That really came out looking great. I'm new to this hobby and would love to have my tank look like yours in 6 months, what are you dosing and what products are you using?

Thanks guys,

I am using Aquamedic Twin Reefdoser and 2 part medias from BulkReefSupply.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Chris tank looks really good, even better in person. Really nice pics, i need to get you to my house to take pics of my tank. Keep up the good work. See you soon. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks guys. My tank is still young and there is lots of room for improvements.

I would like to share couple new additions from ORA.

Borealis

Borealis20090110.jpg

Joe The Coral

JoeTheCoral20090110.jpg

Red Planet

RedPlannet20081223.jpg

• 1 month later...