Waterproof paint for fish room

DaveS

I seem to recall posting here/there about people using a marine paint or something to paint the insides of their fish room or at least the inside of their cabinet. Anyone know what that stuff is and where I can get it? I also recall some issue about using the paint around live tanks with the fumes being toxic or something. Again, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks all.

Krylon paint can be used, but if you are doing a fish room I would use hi gloss paint(like in bathrooms). Reefers use the Krylon for painting pipe.

I was thinking there was something that was more specialized than Krylon. I have an unfinished utility room which is the fish room. I was looking into painting the back side of the bare framing and down onto to the cement floor. I've had some spills before and seen the water seep under the footers and into the other room. I'm looking to avoid that in the future.

(edited)

Dave,

There is a product you can get at either the Home Depot, or a paint store like Duron called "DryLok". It is intended for water proofing masonry, however it will work very good for sealing in framing as well. They also make a product for wood, however I have not seen it in stores locally. Hands down the best product of it's kind, and I believe it comes with a 15 year warranty. We seal basements all the time with it that have foundation moisture escaping, and it solves the problem. It is also mold resistant.

NOTE: this product is quite think and will not cover as much area as regular paint, so make sure and read the coverage on the label. This product can also be painted over when you are done, just make sure to use a mold resistant paint!

Here's a link

http://www.ugl.com/drylokMasonry/masonryWa...oofer/latex.php

Edited by CHUBAKAH

This is great! Looks like exactly what I was envisioning. I hope it's safe for use around tanks!

This is great! Looks like exactly what I was envisioning. I hope it's safe for use around tanks!

The smell is very minimal, and completely safe so long as you don't put it in the tank, or spill any.

;)

Dave,

On my tank support structure I used Sherwin-Williams Tile-Clad Epoxy. I did this at the recommendation of the owners/builders of Scales up in Silver Spring. It's made for coating bridges and such to protect against the weather. It's a 2-part Epoxy mix and I actually have an extra gallon of each. It's not cheap but it is very strong stuff. It'll definitely seal against anything you're worried about. It will also bond to concrete so you can actually do the floor as well as the wood supports.

~Brian