SPS RTN, HELP QUICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amay121

So was at my regular LFS and saw the milli that I was so looking to get, but it was 3/4 dead (what a pity). Guy there let's me take it home to see what I can do. What I've done so far is frag the good pieces as far away from the dead spots as possible. One frag has no dead spots (assuming it's called RTN) and the other has probably a 1/8" section. Should I just cut all the dead sections off?

So was at my regular LFS and saw the milli that I was so looking to get, but it was 3/4 dead (what a pity). Guy there let's me take it home to see what I can do. What I've done so far is frag the good pieces as far away from the dead spots as possible. One frag has no dead spots (assuming it's called RTN) and the other has probably a 1/8" section. Should I just cut all the dead sections off?

Yes... some of the frags will probably survive. Are you sure it's RTN? Is the dying part slimy, with coral falling off, etc.?? Maybe it was STN'ing for months before they got it, or after they got it at the store. STN is usually green with no residual tissue on the dead part.

I have only had RTN twice... one was a HUGE coral - and I only saved a few branches; and I caught it fairly early! The other was a monti cap - and I caught it early and got a couple of nice frags off the opposite side before it was completely consumed. If it's RTN (like I had RTN) - the entire coral will be dead within 2 days if you don't save some frags.

STN, on the other hand... you have plenty of time. I have slowed, and even stopped STN'ing, by fragging off the deadest parts, and then scrubbing the rest of the dead area, and where it meets the live area with a soft brush. Your mileage, of course, may vary.

bob

Here are the pics, not very good.

Picture of the mother colony and how big it was (about 6"+)

colony:gallery_2631447_398_118013.jpg

And here's the picture of what I cut, it's not very good, but I have an extremely old Digitial Camera (2MP).

gallery_2631447_398_153454.jpg

If you notice the bottom of the frag that I just cut, it still has the RTN section, should I keep on cutting until their isn't any of the white skeleton left?

(edited)

Mother colony is dead, was wondering if I should even save some of the tips.. Was extremely nice when it came in.

Better yet, should I even attempt to put this into my tank (already late), but should I just take the frags out and let the coral go?

Edited by amay121

If you are to have any chance - assuming it is RTN - you have to get well ahead of the damage and cut it.

bob

no way its going to make it past a day. Too late to save it!

Not to hijack this thread but any one have suggestions on what can be done with the skeleton? I know you can just chuck it in the trash but how about other options? Attach other corals to it? Put it in the calcium reactor?? Just wondering...

Not to hijack this thread but any one have suggestions on what can be done with the skeleton? I know you can just chuck it in the trash but how about other options? Attach other corals to it? Put it in the calcium reactor?? Just wondering...

It'll work in the calcium reactor - it's pure calcium carbonate.

I use pieces in my 'rubble bucket' that I put pie-sliced mushrooms in, hoping they will grab a piece.

bob

Guest MikeInFredVA

heck if you got a spare lil tank i'd try to save it what have you got too loose you got it for free. might get it back, by a stroke of luck or a hand shake from god. If not the bucket is always near.

Mike