Salt Mixes

sen5241b

Articles on salt mixes that I found very disturbing:

read more ...

This article on toxic metals in well known salt mixes with bar graphs:

read more ...

The best is apparently Aqua Craft Bio-Sea MarineMix but I'll be darn if I can find it in the DC area.

I change my carbon weekly..my polyfilter monthy...have nitrates that dont show up on test kits... add volkga to drive nitrates down as low as possible...and never do waterchanges and my tanks never have looked better....THIS article shows why i have had 2 bleaching events happen when i did a 25 percent water change 4 years ago....i believe there was something bad in instant ocean salt....poly filters remove heavy metals why should i add toxic metals thruogh waterchanges if i dont need to....something to think about... :fish:

(edited)

Articles on salt mixes that I found very disturbing:

read more ...

This article on toxic metals in well known salt mixes with bar graphs:

read more ...

The best is apparently Aqua Craft Bio-Sea MarineMix but I'll be darn if I can find it in the DC area.

I'm not sure how you can say that given the conclusions of the second study you reference which are given here: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/12/aafeature1

In this study, Marulla & O'Toole conclude, "There is sufficient variation between the measured values and the manufacturer's data to call into question the accuracy of that data for both Crystal Sea Bio-Assay and Bio-Sea MarineMix. However, it is clear that the vast majority of the error between this study and Dr. Shimek's study (the first study you reference) is not due to the manufacturer's data on these two salts, but the use of data from an old study that no longer represents the true composition of Instant Ocean."

And, "As can be seen in the numbers, Instant Ocean does not have consistently higher metals levels than Bio-Sea MarineMix or Crystal Sea Bio-Assay. In fact, it has significantly lower metals levels than Bio-Sea MarineMix. Compared to Crystal Sea Bio-Assay, Instant Ocean is lower in eight elements and higher in eight elements, but the difference is generally greater on those elements where Instant Ocean is lower.

In fact, that there is only a single element where Instant Ocean tested higher that both of the other salts: Titanium. However it should be noted that the levels in Instant Ocean were on par with Crystal Sea Bio-Assay (9 ppb vs. 8 ppb)."

Edited by Origami2547

I'll be darned if I can understand any of this :blush: what salt is it saying to use? I use IO with RO/DI water, is it saying that's wrong? please speak in human :(

I used instant ocean for the longest time. I started going to Fish World in Richmond and Joe had me try Tropic Marin Pro. What a difference in my tank. I will never use another brand.

I'll be darned if I can understand any of this :blush: what salt is it saying to use? I use IO with RO/DI water, is it saying that's wrong? please speak in human :(

It means that IO is fine, Sam. In fact, the study sort of "ranks" a selection of salt mixes by comparing them to levels of various trace elements in natural salt water and IO was near the top of the pack scoring "close to natural sea water" in 21 areas where two others scored the same in 22 of the areas.

One concluding comment which is nearly in "human" was, "No salt in this study is an accurate simulation of natural sea water. All salts had at least one toxic heavy metal that was far in excess of NSW levels. When all factors are considered, Tropic Marin, Instant Ocean, and Kent Marine score the best, but such a score can not be arrived at without some amount of subjective judgment in evaluating the pertinent factors."

these studies have been around for a while now.

Did you ever think perhaps the bleaching was just due to a general swing in water chem or an increased clarity not really because of the salt itself?

... add volkga to drive nitrates down as low as possible... why should i add toxic metals thruogh waterchanges if i dont need to....something to think about... :fish:

You add what? volkga?

Freshly mixed saltwater has a orp as low as 200 ...has heavy metals at 100plus levels of the ocean...my tank at the time only had 2000gal hour cir...This is a good recipe for a bleaching event....I now have 8000hr cir which makes a great difference....I refuse to do a waterchange unless i have to...I add vits and coral vital and have no problems to speak of....excuse my spelling i am a fan of spell check i wonder why this site doesnt have it....