White Tips on a Digitata?

Another one of my I do not know enough questions....

I have what I believe to be a brown Digitata (It could be a brown Bird's Nest, but I am not sure, the ends are not sharp).

I have one 4"x4" colony of this with intertwined branches probably 3" high. When I moved it a bunch of pieces broke off. The colony is at the top of my rock and the broken branches are in the sand.

Almost all of te main colony branches have developed white ends and the pieces all have white ends.

Is this bleaching or something else?

Thanks.

Eric.

BTW, should I just start a Tank thread and ask all of these questions there?

Thanks again,

Eric.

BTW, should I just start a Tank thread and ask all of these questions there?

My $.02 - start a new thread for every question you can't find the answer to. That way, if someone ever has a similar problem and does a search for "+white +tips +digitata", they won't have to scroll through a multi-page tank thread just to find what they are looking for.

To answer your question, white tips are sometimes an indication of too much light, but this wouldn't make sense if you're seeing the same thing both high and low in the tank. Is your Alk OK?

Then again, it could just be growth tips.

Pictures?

It could also be the skeleton that was exposed when they broke. A picture is worth a thousand words, if you post one, you can get a definitive answer. I'm thinking more along the lines of growth, but can't say for sure without seeing. Are the white spots really small? Do you have any white nodules where new branches have sprouted off of the main ones?

I will get a pic up - thanks. I have 6MB camera and no image editing software to speak of that will crop etc. So I tried to load the raw file last night no good.

Thanks I will get something up tonight.

Are Digitata frags in demand? I have silicone glue, should I put the broken pieces on Frag disks?

Thanks,

Eric.

Picture please....

Sorry that I couldn't stay out longer to talk shop, but we had an emergency moment and I walked out of the meeting. :) Anyways, if I go to F&F, I'll let you know and will pick you up one if you're still willing to take one.

Does it look anything like this Orange Digitata? I don't know why, but just the tips of several polyps are white. It happens on the top and the underside of the coral under different lights, including PCs, so I don't think it's too much light. This has only happened to the Orange Digitata, and not any other Digitata.

100_1491a_JPG.jpg

Yes - that is exactly it, although I would say I have more white than these show.

Does it look anything like this Orange Digitata? I don't know why, but just the tips of several polyps are white. It happens on the top and the underside of the coral under different lights, including PCs, so I don't think it's too much light. This has only happened to the Orange Digitata, and not any other Digitata.

100_1491a_JPG.jpg

Guy - No thank you for running the refractometer out to me. I was aslos picking up some rics from Ianna so it was all good.

again, thanks for offering that extra. Let me know on the clams.

Eric.

Sorry that I couldn't stay out longer to talk shop, but we had an emergency moment and I walked out of the meeting. :) Anyways, if I go to F&F, I'll let you know and will pick you up one if you're still willing to take one.

Well that is cool then.

I have a bunch of these that broke off also showing the growth. Is it best to glue these to frag disks? What is the going market for them (I have about 7 or 8)?

In the picture, what are the two corals above the Acan but below the mushrooms? They are to the left of the Digitata.

Thanks!

I was going to ask, "Isn't that growth at the tips?".

I see digitata looking like that often.

I hear you.

Frankly I just was looking for a way to fund my new crack coral addiction!!

Thanks again for the Refractometer, looks like I am running 1.030 - so need to add Freshwater.

$5-$10 a frag.. Just don't go too crazy because one day, you may want a frag back and you know what I mean. :)

Thanks for the advice - is there a chart somewhere for that -- I have 75G tank, 20G sump, about 120 punds of rock and a 4 inch bed. I normally top off w/RODI about a gallon a day. Just started with Kalk.

I added two gallons on my way out the door this morning.

Remember try for the MOST to bring it down by .002 a day. Don't stress your livestock too much.