AEFW?

phisigs79

Got this coral from a member and would like to know what i already know and how to treat/dip?I have not put this in my tank. Its floating right now with a fresh bucket of RO water.

gallery_621_73_714907.jpg

There is a whole batch of eggs as well. Anyone trust a fresh water dip and flatworm exit? I hear 30x the dosage with flatworm exit will work as long as you get all the eggs off.

sorry but i can seem to throw away a coral that cost me as much as it did. Flatworm exit treatment with FW dip it is and its not going in my tank. Im putting 10g of seasoned tank water in a rubbermaid with powerhead and heater until i can try to work it out something with the seller

i know you payed a lot for the frag, but what expense is worth you introducing AEFW to YOUR system?!?!?

i agree w/ ric, unless you name is sanjay, dont play games and trash the frag. just dont get anything else from the tank where you know these things came.

good luck and choose wisely!

Its not a frag and it is covered with about 10-15 huge flatworms. Sean at F&F said FW dips work the fastest and shouldn't kill the coral.It had eggs on a few dead spots.The dead spots are old

Its not a frag and it is covered with about 10-15 huge flatworms. Sean at F&F said FW dips work the fastest and shouldn't kill the coral.It had eggs on a few dead spots.The dead spots are old

okay, do what you want. we're just trying to save you the headache.

good luck!

my head already hurts! :why:

Chris:

Good job seeing these things before they made it to your tank. If possible, you might want to cut out and discard any of the dead spots and make frags out of the healthy parts. AEFW like to lay their eggs on the recently killed parts. I don't think its ever safe to assume that you got them all with manual removal.

As far as treatment, whatever you do, do it for at least 3-4 weeks, and repeat every five days. The reasons for this are (1) nothing kills the eggs; and (2) the FWs are reported to take 5-15 days before they reach sexual maturity and can lay new eggs.

The good news is there are actually several things that will work. The bad news is that none of them are like interceptor. This is all tough medicine.

I had good results with the FW Exit treatment at high doses, but I wouldn't rely on that entirely to eradicate the buggers. It might work, but for 100% confidence I think you've got to hit them at least 1x with something stronger. Most people will recommend levamisole, but my personal experience with that wasn't good. Granted, that's because I way overdosed it in duration and frequency, but still. I think it is just really hard on the xooxanthellae, and thus the coral, especially after repeated doses. It is very hard for the coral to recover. Don't discount the tried and true either -- TMPCC will definitely kill them. I also really liked 2 little fish's Revive Coral Cleaner. Benefit to this is very short dosing period and the corals seemed to tolerate it well (although it smells just like pinesol which is a bit scary to be dunking corals in).

It looks like you've already done some manual removal and maybe a dip. If I were you I would hit them 1 time with something strong like levamisole, tmpcc or Revive, and then repeat treatments every 5 days with FW Exit for a month, inspecting with a magnifying glass every time. It is very important to make sure you really blast the coral with flow (direct flow from power head is best) after each treatment prior to removing it from the dip. A lot of the treatments will only momentarily stun some of them, but it is possible to blow them off of the coral at this time so they can be dumped out with the water you used for the dip.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Well I bagged the coral up to return it to the owner and it doesnt look so hot. Looks very stressed and might even be RTNing (Cant tell because its not under lights) Still has polps in the area so I am not sure. I would say its not worth the headache to try to rid the pest.