UV 101 questions

Carl

I have a 70 gallon tank that needs a UV. I'm getting a UV not because I've ever had ich or any other disease - in 8+ years. I'm getting a UV, because my water is always a tint of dirty green. I really don't notice it that much, until I do a water change, and look at the water in the empty white salt bucket.

So, with a 70 gallon, do I need a 25 watt? or will a 15 watt suffice?

Like everyone around here with skimmers...everyone buys a skimmer rated for a larger tank.. So do I get the 25w...and then theoretically I can run the bulb for more hours, and it's still effective, even if it goes down to 50% effectiveness based on life of the bulb?

Then, what flow do I put through. All the UV's have ratings for max flow...but what is the minimum flow? or the perfect GPH flow I should use if I want to kill any possible "bad thing".

I'd get the 25W... always upsize your equipment just like you said. The larger the thing you want to kill, the longer the contact time needs to be. The AquaUV site has a good guide. Take a look at whatever model you're looking to buy. It looks like in this case, 2000 GPH is the max flow but you can increase your exposure by reducing flow to 400 GPH. For a saltwater tank, I'd run at the minimum and get maximum exposure - that way you'll kill bacteria and other small organisms and not just algae.

http://www.aquaultraviolet.com/newproducts3.cfm?id=18

(edited)

Thanks Trevor and James and Brian.

-Carl

Edited by Carl

Note that the AquaUV rates their bulbs and capacity at the end of life of the bulb. I have not seen another company state this, nor the flow charts that AquaUV puts out and the kill ratio/flow required. On the chart, go with the lower flow for a particular wattage to ensure you are maximizing the unit. I have seen ads for brands that focus on the flow rate which is probably the higher end and for freshwater.

BTW, I have a 25 watt on my 90g that is connected in a closed loop. Flow is to maximize and I do not have the 'wiper' model. Each time I take the unit apart to clean, the quartz sleeve has very minimal buildup.

Ask Johnny at BRK about these units.

I have a 240-gallon tank. Is this the one I need? :)

Aqua UV - 240 Watt Clarifier/Sterilizer

click to zoom Item #: A00240

Suggested Retail: $2,236.00

Our Price: Only $1,565.20You save: 30%

Availability: Usually ships the same business day Estimated Delivery Date

Order Quantity:

bob