56 Gallon Column

Ok, I couldn't stand it. I'm back in the game.... almost

Specs: 56 gallon Column tank (30x18x24)

DIY Stand: not yet constructed

AquaC Remora HOB skimmer, 2x65w PC lights w/moonlight led.

I would post pics, but it would just be of the tank. Light, skimmer and some powerheads are on their way to me. Now I have to get the house unpacked so I can find the rest of my aquarium junk.

Hopefully stand will be done next week. Rock will be ordered as soon as the stand is done.

Good to hear. We all knew it was just a matter of time before you setup another tank. How are the LFS down there? Are there local reefer clubs down there?

Good to hear. We all knew it was just a matter of time before you setup another tank. How are the LFS down there? Are there local reefer clubs down there?

LFS- Non existant. There are some but most only have FW. The one that I found that did have salt water wants $115 for a 10k Ushio 250W bulb.. All of their other prices are similar.

I did find a local club, they don't seem to be as organized as WAMAS. I haven't met any of them yet.

BB

guess you might be needing those books back as well. welcome back to the game.

I'll be up that way later this summer (August sometime). I'll catch up with you then.

BB

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I need some opinions. The full tank shot looks awfully blue. Unfortunately that is not a trick of the camera. It is very blue. The lights are dual 65w PC. One daylight and one dual blue actinic. I'm thinking about switching out the dual blue actinic for a 50/50.

Anyone else running dual 65's with daylight and a 50/50?

Oh and one other piece of equipment that I neglected to mention. I also will be runnigng a large CPR Aquafuge on the back. I kept it from my old tank, it fits, so why not!

I had some old corraline algae left on some of the old equipment. Any idea if some of the spores might still be viable?

I bought some live rock today. With the high shipping costs, and only needing one case I decided to buy the rock at a LFS. I ended up getting 40 pounds for about what it would have cost for a case. And I got some cool hitchhikers. (all of the rocks were in various livestock tanks). One of them was in the tank with the emerald crabs, hermits, etc. I wasn't particularly interested in the rock, but I figured I could score some 'extras.' I was right. I got about half a dozen hermit crabs and 2 emerald crabs. I now have about 90 pounds of rock in the tank. I'm thinking I need about 10 more pounds or so. The rock that I bought was tank aquacultured rock. Its not too bad.

Crab

IMG_4716.jpg

Tank w/new rock

IMG_4710.jpg

More new rock pics

IMG_4713.jpg

I had some old corraline algae left on some of the old equipment. Any idea if some of the spores might still be viable?

The spores are probably not viable. All the leftover corraline on your 120 died and flaked off when I filled it. Only sat empty for about a week while I worked on the bulkheads and plumbed in the sump.

My first fish is on its way...just ordered it online. Will post pics when it arrives. Guesses as to what it is might be rewarded..(don't know what I'll give just yet considering I have nothing but it will be fun).

Craig,

Great to see you back online!

If you can't find LFS to serve you, keep in mind our WAMAS08LIVE 15% off discount online at BZA! You still pay the $39.95 s/h cost, but discount will help!

Where are you in NC? I'm heading to OBX Hatteras Is next weekend and possibly visiting my daughter in Jacksonville NC soon too?

....oh, don't forget about SALT CREEP!! :gho:

:lol2:

Hope to see you when you come back in town?

Howard

Wow! That's 90 lbs of LR? Some of it must be pretty dense.

Yeah the base rock is very dense. Also, what you can't really see is that the rock goes all the way from back to front in the left hand corner.

New fish....

hmmm.....

Blue spot jawfish?

Ding ding ding ding ding. We have a winner. He is on the fedex truck right now. Just waiting for the delivery.

Craig,

Great to see you back online!

Thanks, I didn't realize how much I missed my tank.

Where are you in NC? I'm heading to OBX Hatteras Is next weekend and possibly visiting my daughter in Jacksonville NC soon too?

Other side of the state, about 5 hours from OBX. I'm in Winston-Salem.

....oh, don't forget about SALT CREEP!! :gho:

:lol2:

You would have to mention that.... the new setup is much better.

Hope to see you when you come back in town?

Howard

I have a class in DC on Tuesday nights for the next 2 months. I'll be around.

BB

Whew!!! My bluespot jawfish arrived safe and sound.. Even better, he has started his burrow in a perfect place!!! I'm so psyched... I built this tank for this fish, and a mandarin to be added later. I am psyched that my bluespot decided on such a perfect place for his burrow. FYI the burrow is on the far right/front corner of my rock pile.

Here is a pic.

IMG_4710.jpg

the burrow (arrow) is right under the rock in the center/front of the tank!!! perfect!

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

I think your tank is looking awesome and I love your fish! Great picture. What's next on your wish list to add to your new setup?

Maureen

Edited by MLazar

Tank update.

Everything is coming along nicely. I had a bit of cyano in my refugium. That has cleared up, I wasn't too upset by the cyano, since it was in the fuge. No cyano in the main tank. My Jawfish has settled in and built a nice burrow. Really cool fish. He is feeding nicely, my peppermints (lost 1) are all coming out and creeping around. I was able to manually remove the 1 aiptasia that I found (hitchiker on my chaeto). I also found 1 mantis shrimp. I entombed him in his burrow with some epoxy....

I am not sure what I will add next. My long term plan is to have mostly LPS corals and a mandarin. I'm looking to get some acans and maybe some favia and/or tracophylia. I also would like to get some blasto's. I need to wait at least 6 months or so for the pod population to bloom before I get the mandarin. I also have a line on an RBTA. I plan to add that in the next month or so. Once the RBTA is settled in I will probably add a pair of clowns. I haven't decided on what type. I'm a big fan of GSM's but I don't know if I want to deal with their aggressiveness. I will probably also add a wrasse of some sort. My plan is to only have rare/uncommon fish and corals.

So long term fish:

Clown pair (species not determined yet)

Wrasse (not sure what type)

Mandarin

That will give me 5 fish, which is about all I want in this tank. I might add some dither fish like chromis (I would love some anthias but I don't think the tank is big enough)

Ok.. so I changed my plan...somewhat. I found an awesome African Midas Blenny at a local store and purchased him. I have a line on an RBTA (coming soon). My plan is to get the RBTA and let it settle and grow a bit. Then add a pair of clowns, possibly a royal gramma, and finally a mandarin (probably Jan/Feb at the earliest). I need some suggestions on PC compatible corals (NO kenya tree or anthelia.... been there done that).

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Tank Update.

Sad news to report. Despite having egg crate over the open spaces on my tank top, my bluespot jawfisth found a way to go carpet surfing. I found him next to the stand, dried out and crusty, a few days ago. Thanks to dbartco and davelin I have some cataphylia, sarcophyton,acanthastrea, and a 'borneman' anemone all doing well in the tank. I have also added two firefish gobies to the tank. Pics of coral critters soon.

BB