Which Bulk Reef Supply 2-part

fishcam

So I'm looking for a 2part solution for my 55g, and there appear to be two from bulk reef supply: The Starter, and the Total!

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Two-Part-Kit...oduct_info.html

and

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Two-Part-Kit...oduct_info.html

This will be my first two part solution for the tank, but it looks like the only difference is that the starter kit has everything pre-measured, and I get less. I'm fairly confident I can follow directions and take it slow, so should I skip the starter and go straight to the total? Or am I missing something? :drink:

Thanks. :biggrin:

I would get the start, all you have to do is add ro/di water and the premeasure kit to a 1gal jug and your set.

Their site is indeed a bit confusing.

The "Total two part package" will make eight gallons of each supplement, for $59.99.

The "Two part starter kit" makes six gallons, for $49.99.

So the total package is cheaper.

BTW, I found that the dispensing pumps that they include, while cool-looking, are pretty messy, especially since you have to push down on them to seal the jugs against evaporation. I ended up just using the regular caps, which they also include.

-R

(edited)

Their site is indeed a bit confusing.

The "Total two part package" will make eight gallons of each supplement, for $59.99.

The "Two part starter kit" makes six gallons, for $49.99.

So the total package is cheaper.

BTW, I found that the dispensing pumps that they include, while cool-looking, are pretty messy, especially since you have to push down on them to seal the jugs against evaporation. I ended up just using the regular caps, which they also include.

-R

Where does it say how much the 7 pound bucket will make? We just got our order and it seems like it makes more than 8 gallons of supplement.

the "Total Package" definitely seems like the better deal. I totally agree with you on the pumps, its pretty hard not to splash yourself/nearby pets with it. You can save a bunch of money if you cut out the soda ash portion. After you run out of the soda ash you can just make your own by putting baking soda in the oven. costs a LOT less than buying it from them and paying for shipping.

Edit: I did the math. 7 pounds of CaCl pellets will make 7.35 gallons of calcium solution that is 37,000ppm calcium. If you follow the recipe on BRF's website i think it makes it at a lower concentration, but then it will probably make the 8 gallons. (37k ppm is whats made with Randy's two part recipe. Randy being the chemist who created this to begin with)

Edited by Longchamp