Just a thought on tank weight & floors & such

Larry Grenier

I hear folks wondering about putting tanks > 100 gals upstairs. Here's another non-scientific way to look at it; go to your unfinished basement and look up an see what the upper floor is made of then put you head into a standard 120 or larger stand and see what it's made of. Then ask yourself, "If the stand is only made of that why am I worried about the floor underneath it wich is made of much more."

Not a sermon, just a thought.

I hear folks wondering about putting tanks > 100 gals upstairs. Here's another non-scientific way to look at it; go to your unfinished basement and look up an see what the upper floor is made of then put you head into a standard 120 or larger stand and see what it's made of. Then ask yourself, "If the stand is only made of that why am I worried about the floor underneath it wich is made of much more."

What goes on the stand is a heck of a lot heavier than the stand.

I like that argument Larry.

Sounds like a sound argument. It's just nice to have assurance that it won't cause problems, I'd hate to hurt my home's resale value because I didn't properly brace a floor for a fish tank :(

(edited)

Sounds like a sound argument. It's just nice to have assurance that it won't cause problems, I'd hate to hurt my home's resale value because I didn't properly brace a floor for a fish tank :(

I undersand, but it is interesting that the floor is probably 2" X 14" studs or larger supporting 3/4" plywood and the stand sitting on it is often a 3/4" plywood box with nothing in it thicher than 3/4". Of course, it's engineered properly.

What goes on the stand is a heck of a lot heavier than the stand.
yep, the stand is insignificant to the overall weight. So that flimsy-looking stand has to hold almost as much weight at the floor it's sitting on. Edited by Larry Grenier