120 gallon tank on the second floor?

VicSkimmr

So I'm replacing my 75 gallon acrylic tank and I was going to go with the same size only in glass and oriented to be placed horizontally against a wall.

Then I got to browsing around and found out that I could get a 48x24x24 (mine is a 36x24x20) for a whopping $60 more. I feel obligated to pull the trigger on this, but I'm concerned about the weight on the second floor of my place. Luckily the room beneath it is an unfinished basement, so if need be I could probably add some additional support (although I have no idea how to do this).

Is this a good idea or should I just stick with a 75 gallon tank? The new one would be a 120 gallon.

I would go with the 120. I'm not sure a 120 would be a risk anyway ( i really have no idea) but the idea is to have the tank weight distributed across the floor joists (i.e., that the tank is perpendicular to the joists). If you're not sure which way the joists run, check the basement or maybe use a stud finder.

Edited by WallyBackm

I have my 125 gal, 72" on the second floor. I have it against the wall, with no additional support structure below. So far so good, with no problem :biggrin:

It's always a good idea to have additional support below though. Including rock, sump, equipments, you are looking at around 1500 lbs concentrate to a 48x24x24 foot print. With an unfinished basement, I would assume this house is not more than 10 years old. The bigger = the better. Add some additional support if you can for the peace of mind :lol2:

Tee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I'm replacing my 75 gallon acrylic tank and I was going to go with the same size only in glass and oriented to be placed horizontally against a wall.

Then I got to browsing around and found out that I could get a 48x24x24 (mine is a 36x24x20) for a whopping $60 more. I feel obligated to pull the trigger on this, but I'm concerned about the weight on the second floor of my place. Luckily the room beneath it is an unfinished basement, so if need be I could probably add some additional support (although I have no idea how to do this).

Is this a good idea or should I just stick with a 75 gallon tank? The new one would be a 120 gallon.

Edited by Tee

I would go with the 120. I'm not sure a 120 would be a risk anyway ( i really have no idea) but the idea is to have the tank weight distributed across the floor joists (i.e., that the tank is perpendicular to the joists). If you're not sure which way the joists run, check the basement or maybe use a stud finder.

Yeah it would be aligned the correct way. Right now my 75 gallon runs horizontal to the floor joists and it's not very sturdy.

Now all I have to do is convince the wife. Maybe she won't notice it's bigger, haha.

Unfortunately the tank is already spoken for, but if it falls through I'll definitely let you know :)

Go down to the basement and look up to see which way the joists are running. When I was considering a 120 on my second floor, I called a few stores that do installs. They said they don't support anything that is under 180 gallons. Now, my system was a 120 gallon, plus a 55 gallon sump. I have about 150 gallons of water in there at any given point in time. I jacked the joists from underneath for peace of mind. The risk isn't with the joists breaking and whole thing falling through the floor. Over time those joists may warp or bend and cause permanent damage such as a sagging floor. Think of resale value on your home when you go to sell! I say if you have an unfinished basement, do it. It's an easy process and will provide you peace of mind to know that you're damaging you home. A quick google search produced this: http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/frameca...st1/raising.htm

There is a tank build thread in here somewhere, where someone REALLY added support to their floor joists. You will probably be fine across the joists, and near a wall. What kind of joists? 2x8's - or those plywood 'beams'? I would worry about those new plywood and fiberboard 'beams' getting wet :)

bob

They look like 2x8's from what I can tell. I'll probably add some additional support just for the peace of mind, but thanks for helping me build my confidence that this will work :)