Refugium

Vader

I've just finished my sump with a refugium and calculated that it's just over 4 gallons. If I remove a baffle and mount an external pump, I can increase the refugium size to 8+ gallons. My question is for a 75 gallon tank, is 4 gallons enough?

gallery_2631516_394_251370.jpg

I guess by the fact that no one is replying, that any size is better than nothing.

Edited by Vader

I've just finished my sump with a refugium and calculated that it's just over 4 gallons. If I remove a baffle and mount an external pump, I can increase the refugium size to 8+ gallons. My question is for a 75 gallon tank, is 4 gallons enough?

gallery_2631516_394_251370.jpg

I guess by the fact that no one is replying, that any size is better than nothing.

I personally like external pumps better than internal, primarily due to the decreased heat exchange with the water. If you mount an external pump, you'll probably still need the baffle to keep the macro from being sucked into the pump and sent to the display - or clogging the impeller. I think 4 gal is plenty for a 75. There is no rule of thumb, you just need to keep enough chaeto for nutrient export.

What does Yoda have to say about it? :lol2:

Any size IS better than not having one. You just make the best use of the space available. It looks like that is what your doing. :)

Besides providing an external area for macro algae and equipment, a sump adds water volume to the setup and that is a good thing. Go with as large of a sump/refugium as you can get away with. In fact, there is nothing wrong with the sump/refugium being larger than the display tank!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a small fuge on my 47 and the 75 the entire sump is dedicated as a fuge except the random skimmer crammed in there, I even put the pump externally to help make more space for cheato and to conserve heat, go big :biggrin:

I have a small fuge on my 47 and the 75 the entire sump is dedicated as a fuge except the random skimmer crammed in there, I even put the pump externally to help make more space for cheato and to conserve heat, go big :biggrin:

I like that idea about the pump being outside the sump, plus it would make the refugium larger........Thanks for the idea. :cheers:

Let me sum up.

Mo sump = mo betta

Mo fuge = mo betta

Just make sure you have enough movement through the fuge as it is essentially just a tank on your system and can be a place for cyano to build up. Not to mention other critters like mojano and aiptaisia.

Let me sum up.

Mo sump = mo betta

Mo fuge = mo betta

Just make sure you have enough movement through the fuge as it is essentially just a tank on your system and can be a place for cyano to build up. Not to mention other critters like mojano and aiptaisia.

You bring up a good point. I designing a close loop system and I have read a lot on how many water changes a tank should have. I've heard from 11 changes to 20 changes in an hour. And thats on the close loop system, but how many changes in an hour should there be for the sump loop?

• 3 weeks later...

You bring up a good point. I designing a close loop system and I have read a lot on how many water changes a tank should have. I've heard from 11 changes to 20 changes in an hour. And thats on the close loop system, but how many changes in an hour should there be for the sump loop?

In general the total flow through your tank should be between 10 and 30 changes per hour. I try to get about 15 changes per hour in total in my tank and things are pretty good. I'd say that your closed loop's flow would depend on your sump / fuge. Personally, I would make sure you have enough flow in your sump / fuge setup first, then use the closed loop to add additional flow as needed.

In general the total flow through your tank should be between 10 and 30 changes per hour. I try to get about 15 changes per hour in total in my tank and things are pretty good. I'd say that your closed loop's flow would depend on your sump / fuge. Personally, I would make sure you have enough flow in your sump / fuge setup first, then use the closed loop to add additional flow as needed.

So how many gallons would you think that could be? I have a 30 gallon fuge. I run a 500gph pump on one end but keep it regulated. So I think I might be running about 250 maybe 300 gph. I have a 75 gallon so I'm not sure what would be idea for those conditions.

And Vader that sump looks sweet I tried to make one once. Sadly I placed on baffle in the wrong position and then used to thin of plexi-glass. Everything bowed and twisted bad.

(edited)

So how many gallons would you think that could be? I have a 30 gallon fuge. I run a 500gph pump on one end but keep it regulated. So I think I might be running about 250 maybe 300 gph. I have a 75 gallon so I'm not sure what would be idea for those conditions.

I assuming all the water in your sump flows through your fuge and your 500gph pump returns the water to your tank. If that is the case, I'd open your ball valve up all the way. If you have a Mag5 and your sump sits in your tank stand, you're probably looking at about 380gph of flow due to head pressure.

With a 75 gallon tank, you need to achieve about 1125gph of total flow. You are only getting about 380 with the Mag5, so you need to add about 750 gph of flow with your closed loop. That's might be a bit much for a single return. Might want to go with 2 returns from the closed loop and 1 return from the sump.

I'd get enough pumps to have 20x flow and then ratchet it down in case you ever need to increase the flow.

Edited by Integral9

I have a 55g tank plumbed in to a 75g display tank and a 100g sump. Might be alittle much but I like it.

I assuming all the water in your sump flows through your fuge and your 500gph pump returns the water to your tank. If that is the case, I'd open your ball valve up all the way. If you have a Mag5 and your sump sits in your tank stand, you're probably looking at about 380gph of flow due to head pressure.

With a 75 gallon tank, you need to achieve about 1125gph of total flow. You are only getting about 380 with the Mag5, so you need to add about 750 gph of flow with your closed loop. That's might be a bit much for a single return. Might want to go with 2 returns from the closed loop and 1 return from the sump.

I'd get enough pumps to have 20x flow and then ratchet it down in case you ever need to increase the flow.

:eek:

That is my first reaction. I guess if I were to open the ball valve all the way, I could get rid of the tunze powerhead. I'm goin to have to re-check my pump. I know I bought it at petsmart and it was the middle sized one that was rated around 500gph. So i'm fine but then I battle this feeling that there is way too much being churned in the tank or is that good. I know we all want water movement but at what rate or force?

I wouldn't direct a power head at a coral unless it was an SPS and the power head was at least a foot away. Even then, it's better to have a pulse of high flow rather than a constant. Polyps shrink away if there is too much current directed at it. You shouldn't be getting sand blowing around either. If it is, redirect the power heads.

Tunzes are nice power heads as they use a propeller instead of an impeller. The propeller produces an expanding wave of flow while the impeller produces more of a bee-line of flow.

Everyone's tank is different and everyone has different ideas on what to do with your power heads. Some poeple put them down low and have them blow upwards, others do the opposite. I put my power heads up high and direct them towards the front glass (probably the most common).

My 55g has a Mag5 return from sump (380gph), 2 Maxi-jet 600 (160gph each) and an Aquaclear 50 (270gph). I do have the Aquaclear ratched down a bit, but the max total flow in my tank is: 970.

That being said, my 30g is probably a little under flowed with only 2 maxi-jet 600s and the HOB PS / Fuge providing about 100gph. Total max flow is about 420. However, there are hydor rotators on the maxi-jets reducing the flow but they are making a nice random wave effect.

That is interesting to know I have been tryning to think of good ideas of direction. I have a 75 gallon and I think I might place it in the back then point the tunze forward towards the front glass. That way it splits the current and makes it a slow but constant movement of water.

I also have a sweeper set to medium which I feel is not going a great job but just kinda flopping back and forth. This weekend I'm off so I will take it apart and see what the heck is going on.

And Vader that sump looks sweet I tried to make one once. Sadly I placed on baffle in the wrong position and then used to thin of plexi-glass. Everything bowed and twisted bad.

Don't feel to bad....I did the same thing. what you see there is the 2nd version. :cheers:

how is that only 4 gallons? it looks like a 20-30 gallon tank, is it that it doesnt fill up all the way?

I calulated the area only for the refugium, not the entire sump.