Midas blenny coloration

lancer99

I've never had a Midas blenny before, and he's rapidly become my favorite fish.

He's in the QT tank, and although he has some good potential hidey-holes, has decided that his "hangout" spot is on top of the upper bracket of the heater (no worries, it's above the part that gets hot).

While chillin' he's a bright yellow all over.

When I feed him, he gets excited, and his body turns pink.

When he's mad at me (usually because I approach the tank too quickly and scare him) he gets dark brown blotches on the side of his body, then hides. Then pokes out his head quizically.....

I'm not much of a fish guy, so this is probably old hat to most of y'alls, but just thought I'd share...Midas blennies rule!

-R

PS He moves way too quickly for me to get a pic :(

Maureen,

I spend the last 20 minutes trying ... have some good pics of yellow/pink furtive blobs :)

You'll just have to take my word for it that's he a cool little guy :)

-R

Maureen,

I spend the last 20 minutes trying ... have some good pics of yellow/pink furtive blobs :)

You'll just have to take my word for it that's he a cool little guy :)

-R

Thanks for trying, I appreciate your efforts. I guess you'll have to do a tank tour some day and show him off.

Have a great day,

Maureen

When I feed him, he gets excited, and his body turns pink.

When he's mad at me (usually because I approach the tank too quickly and scare him) he gets dark brown blotches on the side of his body, then hides. Then pokes out his head quizically.....

Mine does the same thing when he is mad. He also moves his head up down like he is breathing very heavily from being shock. Very cute :biggrin:

R.I.P. Midas the blenny.

Sometime between 7:30 this morning and 6 p.m this evening, he decided to go tile-surfing.

Someone with more fish experience with me probably would have laughed at my holding his stiff body face-first into a powerhead, hoping to force enough water into his gills to revive him.

I know that sounds a bit ghoulish...but I was desperate.

-R

R.I.P. Midas the blenny.

Sometime between 7:30 this morning and 6 p.m this evening, he decided to go tile-surfing.

Someone with more fish experience with me probably would have laughed at my holding his stiff body face-first into a powerhead, hoping to force enough water into his gills to revive him.

I know that sounds a bit ghoulish...but I was desperate.

-R

Some fish can have their heart still beating after up to 24 hours out of the water. The key is whether their gills have dried out completely, which would result in enough damage to kill them (after they're already dead, of course). I had goldfish that were out of the water and somewhat crispy, and when I threw them back in and they rehydrated, they were fine. I've heard that koi can do the same thing.

Try another one. I've had mine for 4 months now and he's all over top to bottom of tank. He is not afraid of big angel fish or small aggressive six liner wrasse. Yup, very nice yellow fish with lots of personalities for sure.

My tank is an open top tank.

Edited by vaironman