10 gallon sump

blaze98

I am considering turning an extra 10 gallon tank I have into a sump. However I was considering buying a new 20 gallon long for a sump/fuge combo. My question is would the 10 be good enough to house a small fuge or should I just bite the bullet and buy the 20 long?

You could do it with a 10g, but if you have the space, you'll be happier you went with the 20g in the long run. It just gives you more flexibility as to what you can add in the sump/fuge and options to configure the setup.

Guest MikeInFredVA

I am considering turning an extra 10 gallon tank I have into a sump. However I was considering buying a new 20 gallon long for a sump/fuge combo. My question is would the 10 be good enough to house a small fuge or should I just bite the bullet and buy the 20 long?

I had a 10 g DIY sump /refug on my 55g for a long time and it worked great, my levels were usually at Zero, and it had about 6-7 fish in it. In the refug the middle area was LR and sand with some cleaners and some extra stuff I found floating around the tanks in the house. the intro had a built in skimmer, just a design I came up with, and on the return side it had a mag 9 with drilled over flows T'ing into one overflow to hit the Sump. Worked great for me but I upgraded and sold everything. I might do it again though, you never have too many tanks. LOL

That's what I figured, I want the option of adding a skimmer to the sump a little later so the extra room is going to be worth it.

I had a 10 g DIY sump /refug on my 55g for a long time and it worked great, my levels were usually at Zero, and it had about 6-7 fish in it. In the refug the middle area was LR and sand with some cleaners and some extra stuff I found floating around the tanks in the house. the intro had a built in skimmer, just a design I came up with, and on the return side it had a mag 9 with drilled over flows T'ing into one overflow to hit the Sump. Worked great for me but I upgraded and sold everything. I might do it again though, you never have too many tanks. LOL

How big was the space for your skimmer?

Guest MikeInFredVA

That's what I figured, I want the option of adding a skimmer to the sump a little later so the extra room is going to be worth it.

How big was the space for your skimmer?

i made the fall of the water from the tank into a gravity skimmer and all the foam and protien was ccollected in a 20oz coke bottle (which I rinsed daily) where your line comes into the first section tank some plexi glass and angle them up and at the top let the space be about hte size of a 20oz bottle mouth, with extra pieces of plexi glass space for the in coming line and the bottle set the bottle there and poke a small hole in the bottom (which is not the top) ad let it run worked for me for few years till i upgraded.

That sounds like an interesting design, do you have pics of it? I think I am going to just get the 20 gallon and make the space large enough for a decent size skimmer. I got the chance to check out the Grey Sea's Skimmers this past weekend at the meeting and I think I am going to go with one of the "shorty's"

By any chance do you have any photos or drawings of the sump with a gravity skimmer? I'm very visual and can't seem to figure this out in my head. I'd like to possibly do this with a 15 long.

Guest MikeInFredVA

By any chance do you have any photos or drawings of the sump with a gravity skimmer? I'm very visual and can't seem to figure this out in my head. I'd like to possibly do this with a 15 long.

I'll draw it up today and post it tonight hopefully if not i'll post it in the morning. it's really kinda simple.

I'll draw it up today and post it tonight hopefully if not i'll post it in the morning. it's really kinda simple.

Thanks, the design sounds good, I am just having trouble visualizing the coke bottle upside down over the baffles..

Guest MikeInFredVA

Thanks, the design sounds good, I am just having trouble visualizing the coke bottle upside down over the baffles..

here is a quicky but i can make a better one while I'm at work tonight.

hopefully this will help the visual alittle better.in the space between the top of the angels plexi is where you put the bottle and the pieces of plexi to let the bubble work your skimmer affectit doesn't have too be air tight too work but I sealed my plexiglass piece to my bottle top to make it fas and easy for myself.

post-2631535-1207670019_thumb.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out this gravity skimmer thing, not the setup of the whole sump.

Guest MikeInFredVA

I'm still trying to figure out this gravity skimmer thing, not the setup of the whole sump.

the gravity of the water makes the bubbles into the fisrt section of the sump and the angeled plexiglass brings the bubbles into the 20oz bottle and the whole lets out the air. the rest of the bottle catches the protien just like a regular skimmer.

I feel dumb (I am dumb :biggrin: ) I still don't get it.

Raf

I'm right there with you, Raf. Do you want to share the dunce hat with me? :biggrin: