T5/PC question for actinics

magnetic1

Ive been temporarily running 2x96 PC actinics with a SunPaq retro kit I got used in the front part of the canopy.

I want to add two more 34" bulbs. I was researching T5, but all those bulbs seem to b 36", which is going to be too long with endcaps to fit my canopy.

So, my questions are these:

1) Would you recommend I get two 24" T5 bulbs or two 32" 96W PC bulbs for actinic use only.

2) For actinics, is a VHO or overdriven ballast like Icecap really needed? Or can I use the cheaper HO Advance type ballast?

Eric,

there is no easy answer. You are looking for actinic supplementation I take it? What is your current lighting scheme? You have halides, correct? What bulb/ballast combo are you currently using?

Garrett.

Eric,

there is no easy answer. You are looking for actinic supplementation I take it? What is your current lighting scheme? You have halides, correct? What bulb/ballast combo are you currently using?

Garrett.

Garret,

Currently running (3) 250W MH 14k with a BlueWave7 Ballast. I have two 96W PC (420/460nm) actinics.

Eric,

what brand name bulbs? Bluewave, are those HQI ballasts?

G.

14k Ushios.

The bluewave is a HQI ballast from Sunlight Supply.

I agree with steve. IMHO - PC and T5s have not reached the actinic asthetics of VHO's. There are 24 inch VHOs. I have had VHO and various T5 actinics/blues over my main tank. I have found that some of the corals I have given out to others are far better looking (colored up) in their tanks (Eddi) than under my MH and T5 combo. I will be pulling 2 of my 6 T5s out from under my hood and replace them with VHO actinics.

(edited)

I agree with steve. IMHO - PC and T5s have not reached the actinic asthetics of VHO's. There are 24 inch VHOs. I have had VHO and various T5 actinics/blues over my main tank. I have found that some of the corals I have given out to others are far better looking (colored up) in their tanks (Eddi) than under my MH and T5 combo. I will be pulling 2 of my 6 T5s out from under my hood and replace them with VHO actinics.

What ballast would you recommend getting? ARO or IC?

Are reflectors needed since the VHO bulbs are so big?

Edited by magnetic1

Are reflectors needed since the VHO bulbs are so big?

I'm sure to be corrected but IIRC VHO bulbs have built in reflectors.

Eric,

did a search for a spectral plot for you lamp/ballast combo... couldn't find it (I think I've looked before for the 250w DE Ushio 14k and couldn't find it then either). So for all the good it does, here goes:

most 10k lamps spike at 420nm (what we consider to be actinic), I therefore like to use T5 blue+ lamps to supplement as I feel the balance is better.

most 20k lamps spike at 450nm (that's blue to you and I). Therefore I prefer true actinic (420nm) to supplement (either T5 or VHO - personally I use T5 as they use less electricity, are brighter, last longer, and generally kick VHO's tail IMO).

14k lamps seem to go one way or the other (though I would guess that most of them spike at 450nm).

I have no problem with how PC actinic lamps look... they are just grossy inefficient.

G.

Eric,

did a search for a spectral plot for you lamp/ballast combo... couldn't find it (I think I've looked before for the 250w DE Ushio 14k and couldn't find it then either). So for all the good it does, here goes:

most 10k lamps spike at 420nm (what we consider to be actinic), I therefore like to use T5 blue+ lamps to supplement as I feel the balance is better.

most 20k lamps spike at 450nm (that's blue to you and I). Therefore I prefer true actinic (420nm) to supplement (either T5 or VHO - personally I use T5 as they use less electricity, are brighter, last longer, and generally kick VHO's tail IMO).

14k lamps seem to go one way or the other (though I would guess that most of them spike at 450nm).

I have no problem with how PC actinic lamps look... they are just grossy inefficient.

G.

Garrett,

So you would recommend me getting T5s in true actinic 420nm?

Garrett,

So you would recommend me getting T5s in true actinic 420nm?

Without seeing a spectral plot I really can't say.

If it was me, I'd get T5s in 420nm. I know of a lot of people that say get VHO SA. The nice thing about the T5s is that if the 420nm don't work out, you can switch easy enough to 450. Whereas with the VHO there ain't no more options.

G.

Make it easy on yourself and get both. Thats what I did. :) Do two T5s and two VHO actinics. That way you get the best of both worlds. 420 and 450.